Re: [neonixie-l] Re: Nixie Clock - Time Cycle enough to protect against cathode poisoning? Without slot machine effect

jpeakall

Jun 25, 2014, 12:48:29 PM6/25/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I guess i don't know why cathode poisoning is such a big deal. If the digits i don't use don't work, what do I care?

And, the few times I have checked, my tubes don't semm to have problems anyway.

Just my .02. YMMV. (Ducks to avoid incoming)

Jonathan

Dman777 <darin....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm...would yearly be often enough?

 What if I only ran the clock during the day and turned it off at night? Would the on/off routine protect against cathode poisoning or does it need to be the slot effect for the electricity to burn off the gas residue?

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:33:33 PM UTC-5, Dman777 wrote:
Hi,

I think I might of found a In-12 Clock that I like. However, it doesn't have the occasional slot machine display effect to protect it against cathode poisoning. The person that makes this kit said that it's a gimmick and not necessary because the when the clock cycles through time that is enough to protect it. Is this true?

petehand

Jun 26, 2014, 4:45:15 AM6/26/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:48:29 AM UTC-7, Jonathan wrote:
I guess i don't know why cathode poisoning is such a big deal. If the digits i don't use don't work, what do I care?

I guess I agree with you. With wired-in tubes you don't have the option to rotate them anyway, and it's highly unlikely they'll ever be unsoldered for reuse. Once they're soldered in and the leads clipped, it's a life sentence. I have had to deal with some protests from the tens minutes and tens seconds nixies in my clocks once they realize their higher anodes are wasted, and the tens hours nixies sometimes get suicidally depressed, but with proper counseling they eventually accept their fate and I haven't had one follow through with its suicide threat yet.

jpeakall

Jun 26, 2014, 4:01:00 PM6/26/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Haha! I just use lazy tubes, they are happy they don't have to work so hard!

Jonathan

Dalibor Farný

Jun 26, 2014, 4:41:07 PM6/26/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

is there anyone here having a tube with "cathode poisoning" that is so
severe that cant be healed? It should be a bare metal depositing on
the cathodes, so I am very confused why it cannot be healed? What kind
of tube it is?

I am now making a small research on "aging" new tubes just after
manufacture (it was also used in original, industrially made tubes).
They have pretty dirty (not visible) cathodes, covered by oxides and
other residues, and I dont have any problem to make work every
cathode. When the tube is new, it has pretty non-uniform glow, I think
worse than "cathode poisoning", but after aging process, it works like
a charm. I use now 7 hours per cathode at 15mA, 50mm digits.

Thanks,

Dalibor
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/fj1q8lgm9ai0wlq9iixmadwb.1403812801118%40email.android.com.

Dalibor Farny
phone: +420 724 321 571
http://www.daliborfarny.com
blog: http://dalibor.farny.cz

greg...@hotmail.com

Jun 26, 2014, 5:34:26 PM6/26/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have a few Burroughs 5031 tubes that appear to be poisoned on some digits, and have not responded to attempts to restore them with higher-than-normal current.
The glass is darkened on the inside, which I assume is deposited metal. Cathodes are still visible.

Nicholas Stock

Jun 26, 2014, 6:00:45 PM6/26/14
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have a couple of Z566 tubes that appear to be badly poisoned...partial illumination on some digits and noticeable flickering on some others..haven't got around to burning them off yet...Also a few IN-18's tubes with bad cathode poisoning too...

It happens..