Burroughs Self-Scan bare dsplay data

Paolo Cravero

Mar 19, 2017, 6:06:56 AM3/19/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I am looking for driving and wiring info on Burroughs self-scan dot-matrix displays. I read files on Ferretronix website and other search results but I could not locate pinout(s) of the bare display.

This display is a single row 12 x "many" dot matrix with 18-pin connectors at both ends.

Inline image 1

I think it used to have a companion driver board, which is not available anymore.

Is there any chance to have this lit up, or is it just good for museum display (or replacement in the original mysterious device, obviously)?

Thanks,
Paolo

PS: linking to the recent thread on radioactive items, this piece was one of those.

Jon D.

Mar 19, 2017, 8:52:26 AM3/19/17
to neonixie-l
Paolo,

Have you seen this YouTube video?  He reverse engineered the interface.  Don't know if there is any details on the pinout...

Jon

Paolo Cravero

Mar 19, 2017, 2:23:12 PM3/19/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Have you seen this YouTube video?  He reverse engineered the interface.  Don't know if there is any details on the pinout...

I did Jon. He has few videos about these (similar) units. But, lucky him, he got the display AND the driver logic, while I stand zil chances to find the associated electronics.

Paolo

Dekatron42

Apr 15, 2017, 2:00:12 PM4/15/17
to neonixie-l
I uploaded a bunch of Burroughs documents and datasheets on the Self-Scan displays in the forum TEMP folder, go have a look and download the file and see if it will be of any help to you to get your display up and running.

/Martin

Paolo Cravero

Apr 16, 2017, 1:08:56 PM4/16/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Dekatron42 wrote:
I uploaded a bunch of Burroughs documents and datasheets on the Self-Scan displays in the forum TEMP folder, go have a look and download the file and see if it will be of any help to you to get your display up and running.

/Martin

Thank you Martin!!
The display I own is not mentioned anywhere (the code is SSR vs SSD that is always used in those docs), but the information contained there will put me in the right direction.

The one-liner SSR301B222 Part no. 2557 2389 has two rows of 11 pins, one row on each end, not connected in parallel. So 7 dots + 3 phases + 1 anode = 11. I will post updates if and when successful.

Paolo

Dekatron42

Apr 16, 2017, 1:24:26 PM4/16/17
to neonixie-l
Just be careful when testing the displays as Burroughs warns that you can destroy it quite easily if you overload it for just a short time - timing is not extremely strict but running them incorrectly will damage the small glow cells fast.

Can you post more photos of the back and front of your display?

/Martin

Paolo Cravero

Apr 16, 2017, 1:41:55 PM4/16/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Here you are some pictures. At least now that it is open I can figure out a possible pinout. Under the black tape handwritten:

31-2-1    7083    and something else I cannot figure out.

Paolo

20170416_192955.jpg
20170416_192831.jpg
20170416_192606.jpg