Where do I find companies that can laser cut perspex/wood and which software should I use?

Dekatron42

Oct 7, 2016, 5:06:12 AM10/7/16
to neonixie-l
Hi all,

I need help in finding companies that can laser cut perspex and wood and also help with what software I should use to make the drawings that these companies can use.

To begin with I will make simple pieces that fit together like jigsaw pieces or like dovetail fitting.

I've used similar designs with PCBs where I use Designspark and made the PCB edges so that they fit like dovetail fitting which could then be soldered together as I used tracks without the solder mask on the edges, but I have not worked with either wood or perspex yet.

I'm only going to use this for making few pieces each sp it needs to be some service where I can order just a few and not in the hundreds or so. A service similar to the PCB manufacturers that make PCBs for hobbyists would be nice.

Any help appreciated!

/Martin

Grahame

Oct 7, 2016, 5:21:27 AM10/7/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Hi Martin

The company I use for acrylic cutting in the UK is (no affiliation, just a customer)

http://www.zapcreatives.co.uk/

I draw my objects in QCAD and save the working files as DXF. I export the files as SVG and import the SVG into InkScape along with a Zap Creatives template. Their smallest work piece is about 185mm x 185mm and largest 790mm x 390mm in four steps.

http://www.qcad.org/en/

https://inkscape.org/en/

Zap Creatives want SVG files with specific line thickness and use colour to say whether a line is a cut or engraving. Email off the image ... paypal ... wait .... arrives!

I'm sure other software will work as well. This combination works for me.

I can PM you some example DXF files if you wish?

Grahame

David Forbes

Oct 7, 2016, 11:47:06 AM10/7/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

I do all my laser cutting at the local hackerspace, Xerocraft in Tucson.
Look for one near you, if you're in a city. They have many other useful
tools as well, such as a metalworking machine shop.
> --

David Forbes, Tucson AZ

Mike Mitchell

Oct 8, 2016, 8:34:21 AM10/8/16
to neonixie-l
I've used Pololu Electronics a few times for laser cutting.

I've had them supply the acrylic, I just send them the cad file and select from their stock.

Mike

Jon

Oct 9, 2016, 7:53:36 PM10/9/16
to neonixie-l
I've not done any for a few years now, but I was also a happy customer of Zap Creatives and would go back to them for the next project (if time ever permits!). The other shop that worked well for me was CutLaserCut in London.

Jon.