Nixie Tester & Healer for IN18 Nixie Tubes

Marcin Saj

Aug 11, 2017, 2:40:20 PM8/11/17
to neonixie-l

Hi everyone,
this is my first post here. I know there are people here who sometimes use my toys (nixie testers, nixie power supplies etc.)
I have a new tester kit for IN18 nixie tubes. Heart of the tester based on Nick de Smith power supply: http://desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics/NixiePSU.html
Nick, thanks for sharing.

All part are THT (even MAX1771, DIP8 CPA version) and easy to assembly I think :).

A few parameters:
Voltage adjustment: 140 - 200V
Current adjustment: 0-10mA (170V), 0-15mA (200V)
Frequency (auto control): 1-10Hz
Power supply: 12V DC, plug diameter 2.5 x 5.5mm

Off course the tester can be used for healing nixie tubes with cathode poisoning.

Datasheet in progress...

Video: https://youtu.be/YFPnyhKus3A
eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/nixieninja

Kind regards
Marcin Saj

Peter H

Aug 14, 2017, 3:32:06 AM8/14/17
to neonixie-l
I appreciate your products very much.I have the old device and added an external socket for IN-18 together with small amper- and voltmeter. Because I'm not so good in mechanics it doesen't look so nice but it works.
A device with internal mA and V display made by you would be the non plus ultra! It is not the same if you use an multimeter, when it*'s about nixie esthetic is also important :-) . Many greetings

Marcin Saj

Aug 14, 2017, 2:47:49 PM8/14/17
to neonixie-l
Thank you Peter.
I tried to add the digital meters but I was not satisfied with the result.
Now I'm thinking about analog voltmeter and ammeter. These meters better fit with the retro casing.

Jeff Walton

Aug 14, 2017, 3:40:05 PM8/14/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Agree that meters are a nice add to some of the Nixie Testers.  Here’s an example of what can be done:

Meters added to existing “Retro” tester.  A dremel tool and file produced the openings.  Those with lasers can do an even nicer job.

IN-12 running at 3.5mA, 170 volts.

Little digital meters are inexpensive from eBay or other sources.  Voltage requires no thinking.  The current meter took a little more work and required a different shunt resistor to adjust from 1000mA to 100mA.   Can’t control the decimal but could just use a marker to cover the dots if it bothers anyone.  This is much more convenient than having to wire external meters.  You could do this with any tester (if space allows).

Jeff

image002.jpg
image006.jpg

gregebert

Aug 14, 2017, 5:43:51 PM8/14/17
to neonixie-l
For current, there aren't any 20mA meters that I could find, but there are plenty of 0-20V meters, so just measure the voltage-drop across a 1K / 1% (or better) resistor.
Just be careful to use at least a 1/2W resistor; recommend 1W to reduce self-heating, which affects the accuracy.

I went thru this in-depth with my nixie bench supply last year, and ended-up using isolated DCDC converters to drive the meters. Batteries are another option, but they are annoying to recharge.

Peter H

Aug 15, 2017, 4:01:31 AM8/15/17
to neonixie-l
I used a small good digital ammeter 0-20mA made by Murata, DCA-20PC but it costs about 60 EUR...
Because I'm not professional in electronics I had problems with the power supply of the digital voltmeter and ammeter, I tried to use only 1 power supply
and I destroyed the first ammeter, it needs separated power and I didnt know how to do it so now the tester with the volt- and ammeter has 3 different power supplies :-)  But working.
Jeff made it very professional and good looking, congratulation, maybe he could post a scheme of the electric changes/power supply?

I was also thinking of analog ammeter and voltmeter, I found   "Sifam Tinsley Sigma DC Drehspul Amperemeter Einbaumessgerät, analog, 10mA, 48mm x 48mm", then there is no problem with the power supply
.

Marcin Saj

Aug 15, 2017, 12:07:42 PM8/15/17
to neonixie-l, jwalt...@gmail.com
I'm thinking about something like this below:
Class of ammeter is fine but 2.5 for voltmeter with 200V range is moot.
Anyway analog meters are better suited to the nixie tubes.

Message has been deleted

Robert L

Aug 20, 2017, 5:53:38 PM8/20/17
to neonixie-l

OK... I'll play...

First, I'm also a fan of Marcin's testers and have been very appreciative of his excellent customer support!

The design below came about following a conversation with Jeff W... My thanks to him for the impetus to do (overdo?) the project! I also find built-in meters to be very handy.

Current meter below is a 0-999 mA ebay part with the stock 0.050 ohm current shunt replaced by a 0.50 ohm part. Scale is now 0-99.9 mA. Decimal point is left to the user's imagination.

Volt meter is downstream of the re-purposed current test toggle switch. Meter now reads the HV supply output voltage or the tube anode voltage depending on the position of the switch.

Current control is by an active current limiter... Current will stay constant (or be limited) if a tube heals while running. First image below shows the meters reading 2.8 mA tube current with the HV supply at 170 VDC. The tube below sustains glow at 139 VDC downstream of the limiter circuit as shown on the second photo... button caps were put back on switches after these photos were taken. Meter holes cut with the vertical mill at work, squared off with a small file. PCB SMD reflow was lead free with a Whizoo reflow toaster oven. Power supply needs addressed with a +12 VDC to +/- 5 VDC floating output switching supply module at the lower right of the pcb.