Look what I found... VFD calculator

BooBooBeGone

May 23, 2018, 2:41:30 PM5/23/18
to neonixie-l
I was searching my parents old house for my Intellivisison videogame console today. But I only found the cardboard box.

While seaching I found this instead.😀

Guess it is from the mid. Seventies.
934A271F-D1C9-4A75-99FB-A46EE7FCE40E.jpeg

gregebert

May 23, 2018, 3:11:19 PM5/23/18
to neonixie-l
Interesting. I remember our first household calculator, late 1975, was also VFD from a different manufacturer, but it also had a square-root key. I suspect there was a commonly-used calculator chip that was used in several brands. I think my parents paid about 40 USD at that time.

Within a year, prices plummeted and features skyrocketed. I still have my APF scientific calculator, and that cost 10 USD and had all the trig/ln/exp/log functions. It outlasted a few others I bought later.

alb.001 alb.001

May 23, 2018, 4:49:13 PM5/23/18
to neonixie-l

I remember buying my first calc. Made for Eatons dept. store in Toronto Canada.   4 functions 8 digits klixon-type keys ( metal disk flexes to make to pc board contact ).  With AC adapter it cost almost $180 ! I used it until the early 1980's for my hospital pharmacy job because the hospital was too cheap to buy us a new one.

Phil

HuggerMugger

May 23, 2018, 4:54:22 PM5/23/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have "inherited" my wife's old Soviet calculator and really would like to
do something with the display.
Unfortunately VFDs are to new to be regarded as 'vintage' and too old to be
interesting in new designs ...
But I have a4-digit display and a Russian clock-IC for a future project.

/M

---
Detta e-postmeddelande har sökts igenom efter virus med antivirusprogram från Avast.
kalkylator.JPG
KR145IK1911.jpg

Tomasz Kowalczyk

May 24, 2018, 12:15:20 PM5/24/18
to neonixie-l
VFD display technology is still used nowadays. For example the displays next to cash registers, at least the cyan ones are VFD - they provide excellent contrast. Only modern LED displays are comparable.
Take a closer look at those, if you can see the grids, then it is definitely VFD:

Joining the VFD calculator owners club: I recently got my hands on this pocket calculator with single VFD tube display:

It still works and apart from slightly worn out cover it looks like new!

Nick Sargeant

May 24, 2018, 12:29:08 PM5/24/18
to neonixie-l
VFDs are used in consumer electronics as well - my Denon home cinema amp is a VFD. I'm sure over time OLED will replace them, and of course I only have older models in my home that arrived here as (faulty, repair, spares) from some auction site or other, so I can't be sure it is current practice on modern beasts?

Terry S

May 24, 2018, 4:33:28 PM5/24/18
to neonixie-l
I also have a VFD calculator -- with individual VFD tubes for each digit!! I will attempt to post a picture of it tonight.

Terry.

orange_glow_fan

May 24, 2018, 9:54:52 PM5/24/18
to neonixie-l
My first calculator..A Texas Instruments, TI-2500 with LED display. Simple 4 banger...8 digit. Sold for $119.95, circa: 1972.

Terry S

May 24, 2018, 11:18:20 PM5/24/18
to neonixie-l

Each digit is a separate tube. I think it's a Soundesign, but the tag is missing. Takes 4 C cells. Big and heavy.

BooBooBeGone

May 29, 2018, 2:55:22 PM5/29/18
to neonixie-l
Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with Nixie tubes or anything like it, but I am super exited over this 😁

As mentoned in my first post, I was seaching for my old videogame console, and after a deep dive at my parents house today, i found it!!!

Have to give it a good cleaning both outside and inside before I’ll try to power it up.

3849C1BE-5EA0-41F5-BEAA-BB260AEE5754.jpeg