"Hot glue" to insulate tube socket connections?

Trumpeter

Sep 25, 2016, 12:23:39 PM9/25/16
to neonixie-l
I found some Google info indicating it is an ok insulator, but I wanted to check here before I proceed. These are the small in2/in8 sockets, would be much easier than shrink insulation on all those tiny connections.

gregebert

Sep 25, 2016, 1:49:38 PM9/25/16
to neonixie-l
I always use heat-shrink tubing for sockets that connect to wires; it's pretty to rework later if necessary. I'd worry about hot-melt glue making a goopy mess, and if you have to do rework later on, it's not easy to chip or melt it away. It's a lot of assembly work to solder wires to sockets, so I'm not going that route on future projects whenever possible.

On my last clock, I switched to PCB-mounted socket-pins, and 3D-print a retainer that pops over the pins. It looks just like a traditional socket and  it requires much less insertion force (less strain on tube). Also, the pins are custom-fitted for each tube (place on tube, then solder in place) which leaves no residual stress on the pins.