Trigger Tube Clock

Grahame

Apr 21, 2017, 7:39:51 AM4/21/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Here's two pictures of a nixie/trigger tube clock built by Massimo Capra
in Barcelona. Still to have a clear acrylic cover fitted over.

Details are here:

http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/nixie8.html

I have run out of PCBs but could be convinced to get some more
manufactured if there was sufficient interest - please PM me and I'll
gauge interest. It is unlikely I'll do any kits again. The design uses a
custom wound mains transformer that is not hard to have made. The Z700U
trigger tubes are available in their thousands from a UK supplier.

Note that the Z700U has a priming electrode so it doesn't have problems
operating in complete darkness.

Enjoy

Grahame

File 20-04-2017, 19 07 55 A.jpg
File 20-04-2017, 19 08 09 A.jpg

Tidak Ada

Apr 21, 2017, 3:44:58 PM4/21/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
No problems with the half life time of the doping of the ZM800U ? I can remeber somebody here in Netherlands who needed to check the ZM700U tubes in these, before he could make a well working clock.

What will those trigger tube prints cost?

eric

Apr 21, 2017, 6:48:26 PM4/21/17
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't believe the Z700U is doped. Its performance in the dark is
brought about by the priming electrode that keeps a good amount of
ionised atoms in the device so when the cathode-trigger gap is pulsed it
breaks down readily and reliably. I've not had any problems with the
Z700U in complete darkness whereas the XC18 trigger tube I tried to use
before that was a doped tube and was pretty useless in the dark. It
required light to keep operation reliable. I did try an experiment with
a Z700U with the priming electrode unlit and it then didn't trigger
reliably in the dark.

As for the price of a set of PCBs for a clock, it very dependant on the
number of people showing interest. Counting you, it make just two people
at the moment so I doubt if the price will be very good.

Grahame

Dylan Distasio

David Speck MD

Apr 21, 2017, 7:11:25 PM4/21/17
to 'Grahame' via neonixie-l
Grahame,

I'd be interested in a set of the boards myself.

Thanks,

Dave Speck

J Forbes

Apr 21, 2017, 8:39:14 PM4/21/17
to neonixie-l
Beautiful! This looks like it needs a video on youtube....