Adding audio clips to a clock...

Paul Andrews

Sep 28, 2018, 5:44:10 PM9/28/18
to neonixie-l

I've been thinking about adding limited audio to my designs. Things like audio effects, chimes, alarms etc. Ideally I would like something that I can control using I2C, because my basic design uses I2C for various expansion modules, though I could use a GPIO/I2C expansion module as an intermediary.

I came across these devices: http://www.nuvoton.com/hq/products/isd-voice-ics/isd-chipcorder-family , the ISD2130 in particluar looks like it might fit the bill. The great thing about them is that they are apparently a one-chip solution. Does anyone have any experience of using them, or suggestions for alternatives - doesn't need to be one-chip.

Nicholas Stock

Sep 28, 2018, 5:50:49 PM9/28/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
SAE800 gong chip...all the way...

;-)...

Happy Friday all...

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 2:44 PM Paul Andrews <pa...@nixies.us> wrote:

I've been thinking about adding limited audio to my designs. Things like audio effects, chimes, alarms etc. Ideally I would like something that I can control using I2C, because my basic design uses I2C for various expansion modules, though I could use a GPIO/I2C expansion module as an intermediary.

I came across these devices: http://www.nuvoton.com/hq/products/isd-voice-ics/isd-chipcorder-family , the ISD2130 in particluar looks like it might fit the bill. The great thing about them is that they are apparently a one-chip solution. Does anyone have any experience of using them, or suggestions for alternatives - doesn't need to be one-chip.

gregebert

Sep 28, 2018, 6:04:53 PM9/28/18
to neonixie-l
I was thinking CD-quality 16-bit audio; data storage is basically free if your device has a micro-SD or WiFi attached.

threeneurons

Sep 29, 2018, 3:30:30 AM9/29/18
to neonixie-l
I didn't think these chips were still made ! I used one back in the early 90's, so details are a bit fuzzy. Digikey carries them, and they they don't cost much. Even in ones-n-two-zees:

When I used them, it was for both recording an playback, without needing a uC. There use to be cheap SS dictating machines built around them, back then. They've expanded their product line. Maybe I can revisit my old "talking clock"

I designed one, even further back around a TI speech chip. That chip was not in any TI databook, but since I always took this one distributor salesman to the local strip joint (I worked in Hollywood at the time), he made me aware of the chip. I managed to get all data from a local TI sales office in rough form. Definitely no slick datasheet nor app notes. But they had a lot of chips. Most likely a custom, that a big client defaulted on. Worked out well. Distributor stocked the chips, and my company bought them as needed.

newxito

Sep 29, 2018, 3:36:10 AM9/29/18
to neonixie-l

My favorite is the DFPlayer Mini MP3, easy to use, easy to solder, cheap and includes micro sd slot and amplifier

M W

Sep 29, 2018, 3:37:44 AM9/29/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The story I remember on these (from quite some time ago) was that they were based on memory chips that had faults; The faults (in 8 bit or whatever audio) don't make a big difference (they could filter the POP's out I'd think) so they're CHEAP and this is a pretty good solution. They make these into those "singing Christmas Cards", or Birthday cards etc. - Those at a Dollar Store are a cheap source of the ICs if they ever get rare. (Which I doubt will happen.)

  Mark

Mark Moulding

Sep 29, 2018, 6:58:42 PM9/29/18
to neonixie-l
I've used the ISD chips quite a bit, including building them into products, and I've generally had very good experiences with them.  They've gotten considerably cheaper over the years, and they're available in more high-volume packages than they used to be, but they're still fundamentally the same chip.

Sure, if I wanted to have a long recording time, or DC-quality audio, I'd go for a flash-based digital solution.  But for things like clock chimes in Nixie clocks (short duration, limited frequency response that actually can make the chime sound better, and very limited production quantities), they're a really good fit.  There's essentially no programming needed to use them, and although I now have a semi-permanent breadboard jig to load the audio, for a long time I just used a few clip leads.  So far, I've noticed no sound degradation even in devices that are nearly 20 years old, which tends to support their claimed 100-year retention time.
~~
Mark Moulding

Paul Andrews

Sep 29, 2018, 10:30:57 PM9/29/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Mark,

How do I load audio onto these and program the macros? i.e. what hardware do I need? It seems like they are programmed using SPI via the nuvoton USB dongle, is that correct?

The most likely other alternative I would go for would be some variation of this https://circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projects/arduino-audio-music-player though I would want avoid using a SD card module and build it directly on to my circuit board instead.

I will probably try both.

- Paul

Mark Moulding

Sep 30, 2018, 10:32:27 AM9/30/18
to neonixie-l
The interesting thing about most of the ISD chips is that there's no "programming" interface required - the audio storage is completely analog, and the input signal is just the audio waveform you want to store.  Loading the audio is just a matter of getting a playable signal source (I use Audacity), connecting it to the audio input of the device, then triggering the "record" input.  You generally have to play around with the signal level a bit to get the highest recorded signal without clipping, but it only takes a few seconds for each try, so that's easy too.

So the required hardware is a power supply, your audio recording, a speaker (or amplified speaker, depending upon the variant), and a couple of clip leads - that's it.  They're extremely tolerant of power supply variations, and the button inputs are de-bounced, so they're super easy to use.

I see that they now have a purely digital device (the ISD3900).  I haven't used that one; it seem like that provides the flash-based solution I mentioned previously all in one chip, so it can also be a no-software add-on, with much longer (64-minute) recording times.
~~
Mark Moulding

Roger Brinkman

Oct 2, 2018, 6:25:55 AM10/2/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Silicon Chip Magazine in Australia just published a very interesting and small modular design using a PIC32 which may suit your application. You can view a preview of their article here.

Hope it helps with your design J