Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Steven Donaldson

no leída,
15 ene 2018, 10:09:32 a.m.15/1/18
para neoni...@googlegroups.com
I saw this clock online over the weekend and thought it looked pretty neat.  Not nixie, but thought there might be some appreciation for flip displays -

Displays:  (no affiliation, just the first listing I saw)  https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-segment-1-Ferranti-Packard-electromechanical-display-/160945344354

Manuel Azevedo

no leída,
16 ene 2018, 8:53:10 a.m.16/1/18
para neonixie-l
I've bought these displays with the idea of making a clock like this.
Very nice execution. Looks very nice.

Dylan Distasio

no leída,
16 ene 2018, 9:07:54 a.m.16/1/18
para neoni...@googlegroups.com
Love it!  Thanks for posting.

gregebert

no leída,
16 ene 2018, 1:53:08 p.m.16/1/18
para neonixie-l
How noisy are these displays ?

Years ago I had a flip-type digital clock (100% mechanical), without a case , and it was somewhat annoying when I was trying to fall asleep.

Terry S

no leída,
16 ene 2018, 3:01:27 p.m.16/1/18
para neonixie-l
I would say this is on-topic, per the charter.

Neat displays, I may have to order up a set.

Terry

Steven Donaldson

no leída,
16 ene 2018, 7:29:06 p.m.16/1/18
para neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea, but was also wondering how noisy they were. I just found it on reddit, didn't actually build it.

On Jan 16, 2018 1:53 PM, "gregebert" <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
How noisy are these displays ?

Years ago I had a flip-type digital clock (100% mechanical), without a case , and it was somewhat annoying when I was trying to fall asleep.

Manuel Azevedo

no leída,
16 ene 2018, 7:33:30 p.m.16/1/18
para neoni...@googlegroups.com
Well, there still are some gas stations around here with these displays on the pumps. They are quite noisy - enough to make you not have one in your bedroom, even if it’s just a 4 digit one that only changes every minute. Imagine a 6 digit one... probably not even in an office.
Still, they look very cool!

H. Carl Ott

no leída,
16 ene 2018, 9:22:50 p.m.16/1/18
para neoni...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 16, 2018 1:53 PM, "gregebert" <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
How noisy are these displays ?

Years ago I had a flip-type digital clock (100% mechanical), without a case , and it was somewhat annoying when I was trying to fall asleep.

Pretty darn noisy. Years ago I did a clock design with some of these displays.
In the end I had to program an on /off timer so that it would shut up at night and people could sleep.

Mike Mitchell

no leída,
23 dic 2018, 11:12:53 a.m.23/12/18
para neonixie-l
i liked the displays so much I bought a sets.  I thought I'd be smart and tried some push-on connectors but they ended up breaking the solenoid wires.  I had to order another set and then solder each connection.
I finished my version over the summer, using L293 half-bridges as drivers.  I included a GPS module for time sync and a Bluetooth module to set options.
The displays are noisy so I only built a four-digit clock.  I also have a "night time" mode where the displays go dark until the morning.

Mike Mitchell

Flip_segments_clock.jpg
Display_board.jpg
Display_wiring.jpg

Terry S

no leída,
23 dic 2018, 3:37:00 p.m.23/12/18
para neonixie-l
I like it Mike -- care to share your design?
Terry

Mike Mitchell

no leída,
24 dic 2018, 12:29:02 p.m.24/12/18
para neonixie-l

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 3:37:00 PM UTC-5, Terry S wrote:
I like it Mike -- care to share your design?
Terry

When I saw the https://imgur.com/a/E98sq posting I contacted "iamatesla" and asked about a kit.  I also asked about through-hole instead of SMD. Those conversations didn't lead anywhere, so I examined his schematic and came up with my own design.
Rather than using individual MOSFETs for the H-bridge drivers, I settled on the L293D quadruple half-H drivers. I multiplexed the displays in standard segment/digit fashion, so I only needed four chips, two for the segments (7 half-drivers) and two for the digits (4 full drivers). Multiplexing also means adding 56 diodes, as the solenoids are bi-directional and not uni-directional like LEDs. The solenoid pulse lasts only a millisecond, so the diodes have to have a fast recovery time and be able to handle the inductive transients.  I used these: https://www.vishay.com/diodes/list/product-88736/

I split the clock into two boards to fit better in a case.  One board has all the drive electronics, including an off-the-shelf 5v to 19v DC-to-DC converter.  The second board has a Teensy 3.2 processor, a bluetooth module, two eight-bit shift registers, a 3.3v to 5v level shifter, and connections for a GPS module.  I didn't put the GPS module on board because I'm using its patch antenna and I didn't want the display board to block the signal.  The GPS module sits above the display board.

I've done enough of this type of work that I didn't draw out the schematic for the teensy, GPS, and bluetooth connections.  I'm including a photo of a partial driver board schematic and some other photos of the construction.  If you look at the photos you can tell that I built two of these clocks.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Mike Mitchell

Display_Driver.jpg
Teensy_Pins.jpg