Jeff Thomas Nixie Clock

Greg P

Oct 4, 2016, 9:04:13 PM10/4/16
to neonixie-l
Any folks out there happen to have an Instruction Manual or BOM for this clock?

This was the first Nixie clock Jeff made and I was lucky enough to just acquire one.  I do not have a manual for it and figured someone in the group may.  If so, would you be so kind as to share a copy.

Thanks

David Forbes

Oct 4, 2016, 9:38:32 PM10/4/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

This clock is described on Mike Harris' Nixie Clock Gallery page:

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/nixiegallery.html

It's a Harris mains-driven Nixie clock board that Jeff butchered to
drive an NL840 display board that he made.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e7bc4e7-6176-4c82-a884-b5539f1f4541%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e7bc4e7-6176-4c82-a884-b5539f1f4541%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Forbes, Tucson AZ

David Forbes

Oct 4, 2016, 10:11:00 PM10/4/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Greg,

The clock schematic is on this page:

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/nixclock.html

Greg P

Oct 4, 2016, 10:16:42 PM10/4/16
to neonixie-l
David,

Thanks for the info and link.  That will be very helpful.

Still would like to have an documentation that Jeff may have provided with the clock.  Also trying to figure out how to set the seconds on this thing.

On 10/4/2016 6:04 PM, Greg P wrote:
> Any folks out there happen to have an Instruction Manual or BOM for this
> clock?
>
> http://www.nixie.dk/~jthomas/nixieclock.html
>
> This was the first Nixie clock Jeff made and I was lucky enough to just
> acquire one.  I do not have a manual for it and figured someone in the
> group may.  If so, would you be so kind as to share a copy.
>
> Thanks

dixter

Oct 5, 2016, 4:09:28 PM10/5/16
to neonixie-l
Here is the original web site that Jeff set up and has now been posted for us.....  at the bottom you can download the manual... I have listed both for you

the web site is:

and the manual is here:

enjoy

Greg P

Oct 5, 2016, 4:17:49 PM10/5/16
to neonixie-l
Hi Dixter,

I appreciate the links but the clock I have isn't Jeff's NixiChron... The links you provided are for that model, which is a much newer version of the clock I'm trying to find documentation on.  The NixiChron is a totally different beast.

Thanks

David Forbes

Oct 5, 2016, 9:29:59 PM10/5/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Greg.

See the bottom of the Harris clock page

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/nixclock.html#ready

to see the seconds display and time-setting option described.
> > an email to neonixie-l+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:neonixie-l+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:neoni...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e7bc4e7-6176-4c82-a884-b5539f1f4541%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

> --
> David Forbes, Tucson AZ
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/c7f8cb80-361c-4b59-af08-051947a25c22%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/c7f8cb80-361c-4b59-af08-051947a25c22%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Greg P

Oct 5, 2016, 10:02:01 PM10/5/16
to neonixie-l
David,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the seconds link.  Seems there's another reed switch that needs to be installed if the seconds option is used, not sure if Jeff added that switch?  I'll have to check.

I suspect no as I really couldn't dial in the seconds when I set the time.

>     > <mailto:neonixie-l+unsub...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
>     <javascript:>
>     > <mailto:neoni...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
>     > To view this discussion on the web, visit
>     >
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e7bc4e7-6176-4c82-a884-b5539f1f4541%40googlegroups.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e7bc4e7-6176-4c82-a884-b5539f1f4541%40googlegroups.com>
>
>     >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e7bc4e7-6176-4c82-a884-b5539f1f4541%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/6e7bc4e7-6176-4c82-a884-b5539f1f4541%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>

>     --
>     David Forbes, Tucson AZ

Quixotic Nixotic

Oct 6, 2016, 2:37:45 AM10/6/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I built one of these as my first clock and it was horrendous. It's almost impossible to set the time with a magnet without overshooting. I found it was better to split the hours and minutes, because otherwise if you overshoot the minutes setting it clocks the hours on.

I also found the CMOS very sensitive to stray noise and would often find the time had changed spontaneously.

John S

Greg P

Oct 6, 2016, 7:49:38 AM10/6/16
to neonixie-l
John,

It truly is about as basic of a clock as you can get.  Yes, it's almost impossible to set the seconds accurately.  I'm sure it's why Jeff came out with his NixiSat/NixiChron/GPSII series of clocks which were a big improvement in features and functionality.

I like it mostly because it was Jeff's first design and what started it all for his Nixie endeavors.

Greg