NIMO

Nicholas Stock

Mar 27, 2018, 11:40:57 AM3/27/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Pretty heroic prices....there goes any hope I have for making a six digit NIMO clock!!

(Pharma) Nick

Nick

Mar 27, 2018, 9:53:30 PM3/27/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
NIMOs are pretty rare. The price seems about right to me.

Main issue with these is sockets...

EDIT: for clarity, the base is a standard 12 pin compactron, but there is also an anode connection on the side of the tube that has to take 1500V... The sockets have an insulated spring steel or phosphor bronze spring that makes contact with a small anode button on the tube's side.

Jan Wuesten has the data on his site: http://www.die-wuestens.de/iz/NIMO.pdf

Nick

threeneurons

Mar 28, 2018, 2:46:36 AM3/28/18
to neonixie-l
One big problem is that he uses eBay's Global Shipping Program (explicitly stated in the listing description) ! Those morons will see tubes and more than likely, declare them extreme hazardous waste and destroy them !

redrok

Mar 28, 2018, 9:04:53 AM3/28/18
to neonixie-l
Hi Nick;
What is the likelihood these NIMOs are not defective?

Nick

Mar 28, 2018, 9:35:24 AM3/28/18
to neonixie-l
Unless they've leaked, they should be fine. They *look* OK from the photos.

I have a similar IEE manufacturer's box and mine look identical.

Of course, until they're powered-up, all bets are off.

Nick

Terry S

Mar 28, 2018, 11:20:53 AM3/28/18
to neonixie-l
And no phosphor burn, so truly unused.
Terry

redrok

Mar 28, 2018, 9:36:28 PM3/28/18
to neonixie-l
Well the pair went for $652. Did anyone here get these?

BTW, did IEE ever actually sell the NIMO 64 tube?
It looked, from the pictures I saw, that it was essentially 64 dual grid triodes arranged in an 8 x 8 array with 64 character masks.
I surmised that an individual triode was turned on when both grids had positive voltage. Is that basically correct?
Thanks
redrok

Dylan Distasio

Mar 28, 2018, 9:57:11 PM3/28/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
That price seems insane.  It makes it tempting for me to sell the ones I am sitting on, but I am still hoping to do a clock with them.  As a point of reference on price, I bought 4 on fleabay in 2016 for $100 each (which granted I have not tested due to not getting around to putting together a proper PSU,  but I believe are NOS and working based on seller reputation, and look in excellent condition).  Some are probably scoffing that I spent that much without testing, but I took a calculated risk and didn't have any way to in a timely fashion.  I'm still a piker at building my own PSUs unfortunately.

Anyways, as a tube hoarder, I have no intention to sell them, especially since I really do want to make a clock out of them, but a gain of over 300% in less than two years wouldn't be too shabby!   I'm sure there are some tube elders of mine on list laughing that I paid that much compared to whatever they're holding, but I was unfortunately late to the tube game.