Universal Nixie Tube Tester - pro version

Marcin Saj

Apr 23, 2019, 3:03:37 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
I would like to show off my new project.
This is a continuation of my recent projects based on universal sockets. This version has the ability to remove cathode poisoning and one fancy feature - autodetection of 13-15 segment tubes e.g. B5971, B7971, B8971.
Currently, there are 22 sockets with the tester but in the future I will have a few more.
I will not write here about the details because all information can be found on the project website: https://igg.me/at/pro-nixietester

Short video presentation: https://youtu.be/RiADCWJbRWE

pro-tester-sockets.jpg

Universal-PRO-Nixie-Tester-and-Healer-RZ568.gif

Universal-PRO-Nixie-Tester-and-Healer-ZIN18.gif

Universal-PRO-Nixie-Tester-and-Healer.gif

Shaun Merrigan

Apr 23, 2019, 3:23:28 PM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I’m in......

Shaun M

Sent from my iPad6

No Regret

On Apr 23, 2019, at 13:03, Marcin Saj <mar...@nixietester.com> wrote:

I would like to show off my new project.
This is a continuation of my recent projects based on universal sockets. This version has the ability to remove cathode poisoning and one fancy feature - autodetection of 13-15 segment tubes e.g. B5971, B7971, B8971.
Currently, there are 22 sockets with the tester but in the future I will have a few more.
I will not write here about the details because all information can be found on the project website: https://igg.me/at/pro-nixietester

Short video presentation: https://youtu.be/RiADCWJbRWE

<pro-tester-sockets.jpg>
<Universal-PRO-Nixie-Tester-and-Healer-RZ568.gif>
<Universal-PRO-Nixie-Tester-and-Healer-ZIN18.gif>
<Universal-PRO-Nixie-Tester-and-Healer.gif>

Michail Wilson

Apr 23, 2019, 3:24:48 PM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I want one!

Michail Wilson

206-920-6312

--

image001.jpg
image002.png

martin martin

Apr 23, 2019, 3:39:19 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
Now that's cool!  I want one

How can they be had?

martin

【ツ】John Smout

Apr 23, 2019, 3:57:43 PM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I am going to be very very naughty here and perhaps play Devil’s advocate if I may, for just a brief moment? Yes it is a wonderful project indeed, the Universal Nixie Tube Tester - pro version™ - one to be admired greatly, but I’ve seen similar things happen to people of all varieties, especially photographers, painters and musicians. People start with an emotional/artistic attraction to something. After a while they start collecting associated kit for its own sake and instead of doing something artistic with it, they spend more time messing with collecting/cleaning/testing/calibrating/documenting than they do actually making something with the stuff they collected. I think it’s a creative trap, but maybe creativity is low on some people’s to do list and we need all sorts of attitudes.

My question is, once you find your tubes are all in tip-top condition or not, what do you intend to do with them next?

I shall now run and hide behind the sofa to avoid the incoming brown and sticky that will interface with my round and twirly, but please take this in the quasi-humorous spirit it was intended.

John S

Ian Vine

Apr 23, 2019, 4:20:56 PM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I think this piece has an artistic angle. I like it

Paul Andrews

Apr 23, 2019, 4:32:52 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
Well for me, part of the artistry is creating a device like this. In my own case, I seem to have become obsessed with power supplies, having started out being obsessed with nixie clocks. I am finally determined to bring a six tube clock to life (I've done single tube clocks, four tube clocks, an ITS1A clock, segment tube clocks etc.). Naturally, I have started with the power supply, but I am determined to get past that phase. Currently I am doing battle with the ESP32. But I digress.

@Marcin, may I suggest adding a one-tube-clock function? Or perhaps a 3V3 or 5V data-in function that would allow people to use your device on a daily basis? Perhaps in the next iteration of this product?

【ツ】John Smout

Apr 23, 2019, 4:46:38 PM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 23 Apr 2019, at 21:32, Paul Andrews <pa...@nixies.us> wrote:

> Well for me, part of the artistry is creating a device like this.

The craftsmanship and technical prowess shown is without question. I think we can all say that it is really excellent. I certainly admire the dedication that has gone into it all. If you say this constitutes art, then it is art, simply because you say it is. But if art is perhaps conscious self-expression, then what is the art conveying exactly, according to the artist, over and above the intent to test a range of nixies?

John S

Paul Andrews

Apr 23, 2019, 6:15:07 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
Well, really I meant the personal act of creation, not necessarily the end result, such as a specific artifact. I think this is really orthogonal to what you were saying about becoming obsessed with the tools, or in this case, the nixie tubes themselves.

Of course, I am also obsessed with the tubes themselves...

Bill Notfaded

Apr 23, 2019, 7:13:25 PM4/23/19
to neonixie-l
I've been using your other similar tester and it works great Marcin. The new one looks just as nice and I'm looking forward to the 5971, 8971, and 7971 modules! I'm glad you snagged that last B-5971 tube... that was his last single. Now if I could get a couple multimeters like yours I'll be stylin'! I wish I could have bought some like you when they cost less than 100$!