What a find!

martin martin

Apr 21, 2019, 11:45:18 AM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
I found this in a surplus store in Los Angeles.  Berkely 6401 Programmable Counter Timer.  Built in about 74-75.  Completely designed with TTL all in sockets too.
That's 9 perfect 0.75" tall Nixies and 1 special symbol Nix.  Works too!  I can't bare to take it apart to make just to make two clocks!

-martin

Nicholas Stock

Apr 21, 2019, 11:47:06 AM4/21/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Maybe turn it into a clock as is?? Ala Paul Parry....

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin A.

Apr 21, 2019, 12:07:18 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Yeah you could drive the counter with a frequency generator circuit or something similar to display time. If it works I would try to preserve the originality of the whole unit!

Showing time could readily be accomplished with an ESP, Arduino, or similar for 10 bucks in hardware.

What tube type does it have?

martin martin

Apr 21, 2019, 12:12:10 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
The tubes are National Instruments NL-842.  They site nicely behind a clean red bezel.

Nicholas Stock

Apr 21, 2019, 12:13:14 PM4/21/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Nice tubes...that was a good find!

martin martin

Apr 21, 2019, 12:19:26 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Look at the pinout.  Very odd.  And, they were made in Geneva, IL!

IMG_1036.jpg

Kevin A.

Apr 21, 2019, 1:15:32 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
I had made a little test jig with some NL840s I had to experiment with the Microchip HV drivers. They are very nice tubes, with good digit proportions and a fine anode mesh. Also rated at 200,000 hours by NL.

20181010_204446.jpg

Kevin A.

Apr 21, 2019, 1:17:35 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Another view.
20181001_233147.jpg

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 21, 2019, 2:04:19 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Was this item found at Apex Surplus? :D

martin martin

Apr 21, 2019, 2:29:22 PM4/21/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yes
Apex surplus in San Fernando
I went through their stock.  They have more than 25 more nixie devices left!

Most of the prices are fair.  I did see a lot voltmeters using the skinny little Burroughs 88xx series.  They don’t have a useable website ... so you have to drive out there.   Just don’t go in the evening...

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019 at 11:04 SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F. <jfre...@gmail.com> wrote:
Was this item found at Apex Surplus? :D

SWISSNIXIE - Jonathan F.

Apr 21, 2019, 2:41:44 PM4/21/19
to neonixie-l
Oh man, love that place!

When i was on holiday in the USA 2017, i spent a afternoon in their shop. What an amazing place... nothing like that here in switzerland. The only thing that saved my bank account that day, was the fact that i've came with plane and could not take anything large and heavy with me!.

The only few parts that came home with me were a few soldered out nixies, a radioactive transmit tube, and a few of these "safety cap" switches.

Paul Andrews

Apr 22, 2019, 7:31:04 AM4/22/19
to neonixie-l
I spent a little time developing a frequency generator yo display the time on frequency counters. Here’s a link to my write up: https://www.nixies.us/2018/03/25/display-the-time-on-an-old-frequency-counter/

Ultimately, not something I’d recommend, but fun anyway.

martin martin

Apr 22, 2019, 5:03:09 PM4/22/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,
This instrument is an odd counter and programmable timer.  If you look close you’ll need the dials yo pick your time interval.   I am not a programmer at all. I did in college but that was long ago.

If I were to modify it wouldn’t I have to cut circuitry?  There’s a pic of the TTL in sockets.

What do you think?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 04:31 Paul Andrews <pa...@nixies.us> wrote:
I spent a little time developing a frequency generator yo display the time on frequency counters. Here’s a link to my write up: https://www.nixies.us/2018/03/25/display-the-time-on-an-old-frequency-counter/

Ultimately, not something I’d recommend, but fun anyway.

Paul Andrews

Apr 22, 2019, 6:35:24 PM4/22/19
to neonixie-l
I just attached the probe from the counter to the pin I was toggling. I’m not sure how your unit would work.

martin martin

Apr 22, 2019, 9:17:45 PM4/22/19
to neonixie-l
Hey Paul, do you have a PCB for what you made for your counter?  I'll buy and we can save the counter from "Nixie Harvesting" ;)

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 3:35 PM Paul Andrews <pa...@nixies.us> wrote:
I just attached the probe from the counter to the pin I was toggling. I’m not sure how your unit would work.

Paul Andrews

Apr 23, 2019, 12:02:43 AM4/23/19
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
The software just runs on an Arduino (or maybe Wemos) and you attach a probe to the pin on the Arduino. There is no PCB involved, but as I said, the results aren’t great.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/CAKYv7NQvM%3DWLg1YD%3DUCQBw%2BzGHYsiLmsGKqekpF3G7O7eFw%3D-Q%40mail.gmail.com.