z568m tubes starting to fail

已查看 152 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

christopher helps

未读,
2018年5月14日 15:37:062018/5/14
收件人 neonixie-l
Hello,
I have had a six digit nixie clock running on and off for a number of years but today switching it on after being boxed up for a year it is showing signs that some tubes are fading!!?
Is this something that can be repaired-by anti poisoning?..is this the first sign that they are on their way out.
It seems odd that it was fine before boxing them up then suddenly three of them have some digits with dark areas...any advice would be very grateful

Jeff Walton

未读,
2018年5月14日 16:09:272018/5/14
收件人 neoni...@googlegroups.com
A tube that has sat dormant for a long period can exhibit these issues.  The cathodes can pick up surface contamination which will likely clear up if you run them for a day or two.  It's not exactly the same as operating cathode poisoning but shows similarly.  This is very typical when you get an old nixie.  Regular operating keeps the cathode "cleaned".

Jeff

christopher helps

未读,
2018年5月14日 17:10:042018/5/14
收件人 neonixie-l
Thanks, i will keep fingers crossed.
I never realised keeping a tube unused would be bad for it... but i can see first hand this has happened

gregebert

未读,
2018年5月14日 17:53:032018/5/14
收件人 neonixie-l
Are the tubes fading uniformly, or just in specific locations on the cathode surface ? If it's the entire cathode , I would check the anode supply voltage and also the current-draw on good vs bad tubes

christopher helps

未读,
2018年5月15日 03:08:292018/5/15
收件人 neonixie-l
Its failing on certain parts of certain numbers. mainly 7,8,9 .i will post a pick later

christopher helps

未读,
2018年5月15日 15:42:102018/5/15
收件人 neonixie-l
I have realised that i must have plugged the tubes into different holders so the hours went into the minutes etc....does it matter if an hour nixie is poisoned as it only needs to show three digits?..pic attached
IMG_20180515_202031917.jpg

Paul Andrews

未读,
2018年5月15日 17:25:442018/5/15
收件人 neonixie-l
So the hour tube is poisoned on the digits that it doesn't normally display? That could explain it as they would have sat unused for a long time, and I think that running those digits at a higher current for a while would clear them up.

But to answer your question: No it doesn't matter - i.e. it won't hurt the tube.

Terry Kennedy

未读,
2018年5月15日 19:03:402018/5/15
收件人 neonixie-l
On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 3:42:10 PM UTC-4, christopher helps wrote:
I have realised that i must have plugged the tubes into different holders so the hours went into the minutes etc....does it matter if an hour nixie is poisoned as it only needs to show three digits?..pic attached

Is that the Nixie version of the clockspider I see lurking behind?

christopher helps

未读,
2018年5月16日 15:46:502018/5/16
收件人 neonixie-l
I must trim those spiders legs!
Thanks for the advice,i think ill just have to live with poisoned hour digits.
回复全部
回复作者
转发
0 个新帖子