6-8 Segment Dekatron Clock

lokn...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2018, 4:23:55 PM12/23/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have been interested in building a dekatron clock with multiple segments to add to another nixie Art-Clock I'm building for my Man Cave. Does anyone know if a kit or Eagle files exist for this. I saw this build at http://www.dos4ever.com/decatron/decatronweb.html . I figured someone would have a kit but nope...Just some cool YouTube videos.... https://youtu.be/pK276xZWyo4

Sent from my iPhone

Grahame

Dec 23, 2018, 4:48:34 PM12/23/18
to neonixie-l

I built this a while ago

http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/atomic.html

I'm currently working on a new dekatron clock design using 7 dekatrons but it will be a while before it is available.

Grahame

On 23/12/2018 21:23, lokn...@gmail.com wrote:
I have been interested in building a dekatron clock with multiple segments to add to another nixie Art-Clock I'm building for my Man Cave. Does anyone know if a kit or Eagle files exist for this. I saw this build at http://www.dos4ever.com/decatron/decatronweb.html . I figured someone would have a kit but nope...Just some cool YouTube videos.... https://youtu.be/pK276xZWyo4

Sent from my iPhone

lokn...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2018, 4:59:50 PM12/23/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Very cool...

Sent from my iPhone

MarekB

Dec 24, 2018, 4:16:05 AM12/24/18
to neonixie-l
7 dekatron clock - it sounds great.
Marek

Mike Mitchell

Dec 24, 2018, 11:48:32 AM12/24/18
to neonixie-l

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 4:23:55 PM UTC-5, Collin Smith wrote:
I have been interested in building a dekatron clock with multiple segments to add to another nixie Art-Clock I'm building for my Man Cave. Does anyone know if a kit or Eagle files exist for this. I saw this build at http://www.dos4ever.com/decatron/decatronweb.html . I figured someone would have a kit but nope...Just some cool YouTube videos.... https://youtu.be/pK276xZWyo4

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the reference to the video of my clock.  It has been in operation for over four years.
A photo of the hand-drawn schematic is here:

I had problems with the lifespan of the SZ-8 Nixies, so I switched to ZM1022.  No problem so far!
I also had problems with the Dekatron zero cathode in the tens-of-hours position.  It's on for eighteen hours a day and the cathode slowly sputters away.
I first described the problem and a solution here:

Mike Mitchell