OT - Panel Meter

Mich...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2015, 12:42:39 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I have done a couple (analog) Panel Meter clocks (I know, not nixie - sorry).

I was thinking of using an old voltmeter with big meter for a single needle clock, but don't think it will be very good for a 'clock'.

Searching the webz, I can't find what I am looking for.....

Does anyone know of an old meter which has 3 meters in it? (As big as possible)

Michail

Nicholas Stock

Jul 28, 2015, 12:51:37 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
May be a bit more than you're looking for...

Dan Harboe Burer

Jul 28, 2015, 1:00:50 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
A meter with 3 meters in it? Something like this?
They do exsist but are quite rare... I think.  I have only seen this one  (which I own) and one other for sale once – it vanished quite fast though..

Dan
3meter.jpg

Mich...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2015, 1:01:09 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

I have done that project (PIC) and I have done Arduino project.

I was hoping to find an old meter that already had 3 meters in it instead of building one.   Convert something vintage to a clock.

Alan does have a nice and cheap kits though.  Although not a premade circuit board - It required point to point soldering.  (Having missed a single ground wire, it took days to trace out the mistake.

Michail

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Michail1 via neonixie-l <neoni...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I have done a couple (analog) Panel Meter clocks (I know, not nixie - sorry).

I was thinking of using an old voltmeter with big meter for a single needle clock, but don't think it will be very good for a 'clock'.

Searching the webz, I can't find what I am looking for.....

Does anyone know of an old meter which has 3 meters in it? (As big as possible)

Michail

Mich...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2015, 1:03:03 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Yes, that would be awesome.  Ummm, when it the model/part.  I am in no hurry and can wait for one to appear again if I knew what it was.

Michail

In a message dated 7/28/2015 10:00:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, d...@post.tele.dk writes:
A meter with 3 meters in it? Something like this?
They do exsist but are quite rare... I think.  I have only seen this one  (which I own) and one other for sale once – it vanished quite fast though..

Dan

Dan Harboe Burer

Jul 28, 2015, 1:17:06 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Michail,

Please email me on d...@post.tele.dk. I think I just found something for you Smiley
wlEmoticon-smile[1].png

Charles MacDonald

Jul 28, 2015, 1:47:10 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
On 15-07-28 12:42 PM, Michail1 via neonixie-l wrote:
> Does anyone know of an old meter which has 3 meters in it? (As big as
> possible)

How about the Dashboard of an not so old old car? The cars these days
have everything displayed electricaly, so the Speedo and tach are really
just electrical meters. Some have a gas guage and temperature guage
that also work electricaly.

(one caution, some use a stepper motor to drag along a magnet much like
a speedometer, with the speed of the motor depending an the value that
they want to show.)

Perhaps their is a "pick and pull" junkyard in your area where you can
salvage what you need.

--
Charles MacDonald Stittsville Ontario
cm...@zeusprune.ca Just Beyond the Fringe

Mich...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2015, 1:52:00 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

I considered that as well.

Something like...

But, that is price prohibited.  And, would still have to be mounted.

I might just have to settle on....
and be forced to make an enclosure.

Michail Wilson
206-920-6312

Instrument Resources of America

Jul 28, 2015, 1:58:14 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
This meter was specifically used in a "POWER PANEL" to indicate the voltages on the three legs of a 'three phase power system', somewhere OUTSIDE of the United States. If you'll note on each meter face there is a different letter, either R or S or T which indicated, which phase it was monitoring the voltage of. In the U.S. standard designations when working with three phase power is A,B,C or L1,L2,L3 (indicating Line 1,2or3) , or T1,T2,T3 ( indicating terminal 1,2 or 3). In other parts of of the world they do use R,S,T, and U,V,W, and also X,Y,Z,. It is not at all unusual to see, 'phase rotation testers' labeled with at least two of the currently used international standard designations, such as L1,L2,L3 and also R,S,T,. I have one such tester here myself. These old analog meters were replaced long ago with more modern digital readouts and are all over Ebay.  Hope this was of some use.  Ira.
IRACOSALES.vcf

Tidak Ada

Jul 28, 2015, 4:24:40 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Did you already consider the movement of a SWR-meter  with the two crossed pointers? OK that’s only two (hours and minutes) But what about to make a ‘pendulum’ using an ordinary meter mounted upside down?

You can find SWR meters at ham-fests.

Daiwa CN-801H cross-needle SWR-meter. It sustains 2 kW PEP in a ... SWR-meter

[ https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/HZPrMewWFFIa3EccRXWhOw--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MzUxO3E9OTU7dz00NzI-/http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Radio/swr-meter.jpg ]

eric

--

image001.jpg

Terry S

Jul 28, 2015, 4:44:40 PM7/28/15
to neonixie-l, Mich...@aol.com
An old color CRT tester would be ideal, they are cheap if not free at swap meets.

Terry

Mich...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2015, 4:47:23 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

I considered it, but need 3 needles.   Although that would be great for a clock, I want seconds to show time movement.

It's kind of like having a 4 tube nixie clock.  Little boring.  Need 6 tubes.  :)

Michail Wilson
206-920-6312

In a message dated 7/28/2015 1:24:45 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, off...@zeelandnet.nl writes:

Did you already consider the movement of a SWR-meter  with the two crossed pointers? OK that’s only two (hours and minutes) But what about to make a ‘pendulum’ using an ordinary meter mounted upside down?

You can find SWR meters at ham-fests.

Daiwa CN-801H cross-needle SWR-meter. It sustains 2 kW PEP in a ... SWR-meter

[ https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/HZPrMewWFFIa3EccRXWhOw--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MzUxO3E9OTU7dz00NzI-/http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/Radio/swr-meter.jpg ]

eric

Tidak Ada

Jul 28, 2015, 5:03:37 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Isn’t that compensated by the  ’pendulum’ formed  by the ‘upside down meter’ (zero in the centre of the scale) showing the seconds by its moving (an 1 or 2Hz sine will do the job)?

image001.jpg

Bill S

Jul 28, 2015, 5:53:33 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I made this a few years ago. It uses three meters (bought cheap on ebay) for hours, minutes and seconds and runs quite well. It synches to the 60Hz line and it's been running since I built in in 2010. As I remember, it was on this group that someone burned a chip for me to use in the clock and I think he had a site.  I did the dials in a drafting program.

 My clock is here:
www.billtime.com/test/meter_clock.jpg
www.billtime.com/test/meter_clock.jpg

Bill S

Bill S

Jul 28, 2015, 6:03:33 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
More info:
In 2010 there was a discussion of meter clocks and the member who did the chip for me was I believe Len Bayles. He had a site http://www.meterclock.com/. He has all of the info there including schematics and the source code. Really nice guy! Don't know if he's still on the list but the clock is terrific
Bill S.

gregebert

Jul 28, 2015, 6:23:36 PM7/28/15
to neonixie-l, bil...@gmail.com
I was thinking about using a pressure gauge and replacing the bourdon mechanism with a stepper motor. They have a wider rotation (up to 270 degrees) versus electric meters (typically 90 degrees).

David Speck MD

Jul 28, 2015, 6:49:10 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
If you look on eBay for switchboard meters, you will find many with 270
degree movements. The eBay seller NRI Industrial often has them, and
frequently accept best offers for less than half of the asking price.

I use a standing search for:

(ge,G.E.,westinghouse,yokogawa,crompton) (meter,meters)
-(light,exposure,AC,alternating)

Just be sure to get DC meters. AC volt and current meters are a lot
more common, but they are very difficult to drive with a microprocessor.

The DC meters usually have a 1 milliamp or even 100 microamp full scale
movement inside, so they are easy to drive. They come apart easily, and
you can make and install a custom meter face without a lot of difficulty.

Dave

Mich...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2015, 7:12:22 PM7/28/15
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Looks nice.

the kit from Alan project is a nice kit with battery backup.  I think it was upgraded to a 1307

I did it with an arduino with a ds3231.

I just hate making an enclosure which is why I am looking for test equipment with 3 meters already.

For the scales, it's easy to use Tonne software (Meterbasic)

Michail