Group document repository...

Nick

Aug 8, 2016, 11:25:20 AM8/8/16
to neonixie-l
Ideas please!

Any way we could use a Google service for this would be preferred, integration with Groups would be even better,,,,

Need the concept of users (upload & read allowed, but no moves or deletes) & admins (full access) for sure,,,, Low Gb would be enough... Maybe Dropbox?

Private servers, e.g. members' own, would not be a viable option... :)

Cheers

Nick

Dekatron42

Aug 8, 2016, 12:59:45 PM8/8/16
to neonixie-l
A secondary place would also be good, I can recommend Frank Philipse with his website, he is hosting a lot of documents that I have sent him.

/Martin

B Prasad

Aug 9, 2016, 1:53:24 AM8/9/16
to neonixie-l
Google has two suitable options - Google Sites and Google Drive.
Access can be restricted to the members of the group, or be made open.

Nick

Aug 9, 2016, 5:11:30 AM8/9/16
to neonixie-l
I can't see an obvious way either of these integrate with Google Groups...

Google Drive is part of Google Apps - a paid-for option.

How would you integrate either of these services with Google Groups? With supported integration, user management is a pain.

Cheers

Nick
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Roddy Scott

Aug 10, 2016, 2:58:26 AM8/10/16
to neonixie-l
You can set up a personal google Drive and allow access by either making it public or providing a direct link to it.

I did a similar thing for an R/C site with documents and information for scale model builds.

Nick

Aug 15, 2016, 9:49:21 AM8/15/16
to neonixie-l
Making it public and a direct link doesn't address the access requirements mentioned above - anybody with the link would have access...

Nick

Roddy Scott

Aug 16, 2016, 7:18:43 AM8/16/16
to neonixie-l
If the link is only available to members then would that not suffice? Suscriber only access?

Just a thought.

Nick

Aug 16, 2016, 7:24:37 AM8/16/16
to neonixie-l
Not really - the link will leak and the rights are the same for all uses of the link, there is no user authorisation or permissioning control.

Nick

Dylan Distasio

Aug 16, 2016, 10:07:42 AM8/16/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

Nick-

Google Drive, while not necessarily perfect, does offer the ability to restrict access to specific people.  Set up this way, it would not allow anyone else with the link to use it.  You can also set view/edit access at the individual level.  Hope that helps...

Best,
Dylan

Andy Tefft

Aug 16, 2016, 11:24:24 AM8/16/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can restrict access to individuals, but I believe they have to have google accounts, and there's no way to integrate it with the group membership, so it would be a manual addition/removal process for individuals.

Terry S

Jan 5, 2017, 8:09:39 AM1/5/17
to neonixie-l
Could a host or moderator please UNPIN this topic so it stops showing up at the top of the list? Thanks. Terry.