B7971 Redux - Quest.

Ben C

Jan 8, 2018, 2:43:26 AM1/8/18
to neonixie-l
Hi folks,

I’ve finally run out of B-7971 tubes :(

I just bought two off eBay from a reputable looking advert. I’ve had few good experiences buying these off eBay, so fingers crossed.

I’m on the hunt for six B-7971’s for my new clock, so if anyone has any they are willing to sell, please drop me a PM.

Many thanks.

Alan Tan

Jan 8, 2018, 4:20:42 AM1/8/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I am also in the hunt for 2 for the incoming FLW from Pete ...

Paul Andrews

Michail Wilson

Jan 9, 2018, 4:41:35 PM1/9/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com

I have plenty of them.

Need to re-count to make sure I can supply enough for the number of clocks I have on order and units still to assemble.  Also, I promised a set to someone in here a while back, but either didn’t get the email or a spam filter got to it.

Once I get a number, I will happily provide qty available; however, I am not going to be as cheap as ebay.  Unlike ebay, I will not claim ‘untested’ as I will have video showing they work.  I will have a minimum of 10 available.

Also, I have a bunch of others which either don’t work, flicker, or have burned out elements.  Anyone have a suggestion as to what I should use them for?

Michail Wilson

Paul Andrews

Jan 9, 2018, 4:52:23 PM1/9/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I had an idea to build a deliberately malfunctioning clock that flickered, in a distressed case. However, in my case I would occasionally force a cryptic sequence of numbers to display cleanly. The inspiration was a cross between Fallout 4, Lost Season 2 and Bioshock Infinite (and some rather knackered Burroughs tubes I have) - you would need the sound of staticy/tinny period music or voices fading in and out too. I was happy to over-drive the tubes to get the occasionally clear display - obviously need some way of varying the current to the tubes, e.g. a PS that can be controlled from the MCU. I was going to put it in my (finished) basement with a motion detector that would bring it flickering to life - just stacked on a shelf amongst a bunch of other ‘junk’.

Not got any further with this idea yet.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "neonixie-l" group.

Alan Tan

Jan 9, 2018, 6:27:41 PM1/9/18
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Count me in for 3 tubes subject to final pricing on each tube from you of course.

Thanks.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/dffec36c-b8d2-4e53-8c46-c314809732f1%40googlegroups.com.

Ben C

Jan 11, 2018, 6:52:32 AM1/11/18
to neonixie-l
Paul, That flickering clock idea sounds like a great idea for abused nixies. Amazed at the ingenuity of people. Kudos.

Michail, I would be very willing to pay more for a reputable supplier. I was in touch with another gentleman in early November, but my last emails went unanswered. eBay isn’t sane for me. Looks like you would have no problem selling ten or so here.

Cheers!
Ben