Can anyone identify please?

Nixcited delighted

Sep 14, 2016, 4:03:40 PM9/14/16
to neonixie-l

I acquired a set of bat nixies that I was told came out of a set of Avery scales. Digit height about 15mm, tube body is about 0.7" x 1.55", excluding the nipple.

I am having trouble reading the manufacturer and part number. I can see they are English-made and a have a silver-hued honeycomb grid. Is the manufacturer ITT? I seem to see a part number of GN-85AN or GN-85AH but I am drawing a blank on a web search for those numbers.

One nixie is a tube with fractions in it.

Before I attempt a clean-up and lose the markings altogether, might one of you gurus be able to identify these bottles and hopefully tell me the pinouts please?

John S

jb-electronics

Sep 14, 2016, 4:09:52 PM9/14/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hey John,

the fractions Nixie is a GF-37AH, see here: http://www.jb-electronics.de/html/elektronik/nixies/n_sammlung_g.htm#GF-37AH
The numeric one should be GN-35AH, see here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtomsworld/269254190

Both ITT. I like the bame "bat nixie" a lot ;)

Cheers
Jens

Nixcited delighted

Roddy Scott

Sep 15, 2016, 12:56:18 PM9/15/16
to neonixie-l
I call them Australian tubes. Makes folk think too!

jb-electronics

Sep 15, 2016, 1:06:45 PM9/15/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Now I don't know... I thin bat nixies is pretty cool, and for some reason I have never heard that before. Funny!

Quixotic Nixotic

Sep 15, 2016, 4:33:15 PM9/15/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I stuck a few volts in the bat-nixie-with-fractions today. I rather like it. Might be quite fun in a clock, timing 7.5 minute divisions. Note to self: must buy a new cutting mat.

John S

A.J. Franzman

Sep 29, 2016, 6:22:35 PM9/29/16
to neonixie-l
I think Westdave was the first of our group to call them "bat nixies", back in the Yahoo days. I don't know if he coined the term or heard it elsewhere. I believe what little manufacturer literature can be found on them rather unimaginatively calls them "inverted display" tubes.

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 9:15:23 PM UTC+1, Nixcited delighted wrote:
Thanks Jens, a great help. I thought everyone called upside tubes bat nixies?

jb-electronics

Sep 29, 2016, 6:39:25 PM9/29/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks AJ, that is a nice piece of trivia :) Jens