IN-17 break easily?

Trumpeter

Sep 23, 2016, 10:32:19 AM9/23/16
to neonixie-l
Hello all,

I'm new here but this is a great resource, glad I found it.

When I received my kit (pv electronics kit with 4xIN12 and 2xIN-17) I unwrapped the tubes to inspect and placed them back in the box loose, thinking nothing of it. When it was time to solder the IN-17s to the board I found that one had a shattered face! I'm suprised because the box just sat on my desk for a couple days, so the damage must have been caused by another tube simple rubbing up against it perhaps when closing the box. Are they really this fragile?

Of course, the IN-17 is the one tube type I have not yet hoarded so off to eBay I went.. :facepalm:

Nicholas Stock

Sep 23, 2016, 10:55:05 AM9/23/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
Hi and welcome! IN17s aren't really any different to other tubes I've encountered in terms of fragility, so it's either a freak tube or somebody dropped something on the box.....

Nick

Sent from my iPhone

Trumpeter

Sep 23, 2016, 11:12:56 AM9/23/16
to neonixie-l

I have a lot of my other tubes stored loose in plastic bags (20-30 in a large ziplock for instance) then placed inside a box with a label that indicted the tube type. This incident with the in-17 makes me rethink this practice. The glass on the in17 is surprisingly thin.

My wife thinks I'm crazy buying these old Soviet tubes. :) They are neat though.

Quixotic Nixotic

Sep 23, 2016, 11:20:22 AM9/23/16
to neoni...@googlegroups.com
I had an IN-17 break on me and I was surprised at how little force broke it.

John S