Nicholas Stock

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 11:43:0921.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com

Grahame

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 11:49:0321.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com

Yes, you sent the email already. Do you know where Tony is exactly?

On 21/07/2016 16:43, Nicholas Stock wrote:

Mich...@aol.com

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 11:57:3121.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
Wow,

I want one (or two).  :)

Michail Wilson
206-920-6312

gregebert

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 12:26:2221.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Is this the first product using Dalibor's nixies ?

Interesting idea, but for me the "upside-down-2" nixies in the multi-tube version kill the aesthetics.

Dylan Distasio

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 12:34:0221.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com

I agree, awesome project, but I wish he would have used another tube.

On Jul 21, 2016 12:26 PM, "gregebert" <greg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Is this the first product using Dalibor's nixies ?

Interesting idea, but for me the "upside-down-2" nixies in the multi-tube version kill the aesthetics.

Nicholas Stock

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 12:37:1721.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
I quite like the upside down 2's....speaks to the frugality of the factory operations of the time? Each to their own though! Dalibor's tubes do look great.

Dekatron42

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 12:58:4421.07.16
uz neonixie-l
I wonder how well it goes with cat owners, maybe you should use a glass dome to cover it so your cat doesn't start to play with it....

/Martin

Quixotic Nixotic

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 13:36:5821.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
I've seen one or two of my nixie clocks levitate, but only when my wife has decided to clean my work table and has moved an unhoused example. It's usually followed by some robust Anglo-Saxon. A small price to pay and it does not cost £35,000.

John S

gregebert

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 14:39:1221.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Are any of you suspicious about the levitation height in the picture ? My gut feeling is perhaps a few millimeters with a strong magnetic field. I have a pair of circular magnetron magnets, and I can get roughly the height pictured, but my magnet is much lighter than a nixie clock.

One can only guess how much photoshop work is done for kickstarter campaigns.....

Tony Adams

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 14:46:2521.07.16
uz neonixie-l
The only photoshopping was to touch up dust spots and colour balance, the height is real and you're welcome to come and look at one in operation.

Tony Adams

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 14:51:0821.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Thanks for the comments everyone. A serious question though, would anyone consider it worth adding an IN-8-2 option for example? I'd expected anyone wanting a good looking nixie would have gone for Dalibor's tube but sadly it hasn't been as popular as I'd hoped.

threeneurons

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 14:55:4021.07.16
uz neonixie-l

£35,000 is a rather modest amount to get production running. If he needs plastic bits, the cost of dies are a tad steep. Also getting PCBs assembled. I don't think he's looking at hand soldering a bunch of boards, with sm parts, on them.

As for a "one-off", home made project, this is now very doable. With the abundance of low cost rare earth magnets, expect to see a lot of levitating gadgets soon. If done right, you only need the magnets placed and held, so they make a properly shaped field. No power is required. I'm currently running some experiments with Royer oscillators. These seem to work quite well for inductive power transfer. Much better than the H-bridge, I used on my old "Propeller Santa II", made about 10 years ago.

threeneurons

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 15:02:3421.07.16
uz neonixie-l

As for a "one-off", home made project,... No power is required.... inductive power transfer. ...

Just as a clarification:

1) No power required for levitation

2) Inductive power transfer, to light up the nixies, and run the clock circuit. Only need in the ballpark of 5W.

Mich...@aol.com

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 15:05:1221.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
I don't think the issue is Dalibor's tube.
The issue is Single Tube vs 4 Tubes.

Yes, I like the IN-8-2 Option or the ability to change between the tubes (or simply easily replace tubes as needed).

Michail Wilson
206-920-6312

In a message dated 7/21/2016 11:51:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, to...@lasermad.com writes:
Thanks for the comments everyone. A serious question though, would anyone consider it worth adding an IN-8-2 option for example? I'd expected anyone wanting a good looking nixie would have gone for Dalibor's tube but sadly it hasn't been as popular as I'd hoped.

Nick

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 15:20:5321.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
Have a look at 4HV - lots of working projects on there including wireless power transfer using Royer oscillators - built one myself about 5 years ago when doing a lot if Tesla Coil stuff...

http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?74096

Nick

Nicholas Stock

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 15:42:3421.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
That's a good thought...I'm sure our feline friends would find them fascinating....

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Dekatron42 <martin....@gmail.com> wrote:
I wonder how well it goes with cat owners, maybe you should use a glass dome to cover it so your cat doesn't start to play with it....

/Martin

Jon Jackson

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 15:47:1921.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in an IN-8-2 option.

Jon

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Tony Adams <to...@lasermad.com> wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. A serious question though, would anyone consider it worth adding an IN-8-2 option for example? I'd expected anyone wanting a good looking nixie would have gone for Dalibor's tube but sadly it hasn't been as popular as I'd hoped.

Jeff Walton

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 16:26:5421.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com

To me, the choice of tubes is a real drawback in terms of appearance.  The upside down twos for the numeral “5” is one of the best examples of how some of the Russian tubes tried to go cheap in terms of production when they really saved nothing.  The resulting font set is not what people want.  Pick a different tube (although I understand the choices are limited) which is aesthetically more pleasing.  IN-8-2 is readily available and not so different in mass.

As far as Dalibor’s tube version – it’s not the tube that’s the problem.  The tube is absolutely beautiful!  I just don’t find any fascination in a one digit clock.

Jeff

Jeff Walton

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 16:29:3821.07.16
uz neonixie-l
It's not an issue with Dalibor's tube.  It is beautiful!  I have no interest in a one digit clock.

gregebert

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 17:12:5821.07.16
uz neonixie-l
...and if I had six of Dalibor's tube in a clock, I certainly wouldn't risk it floating-away and crashing onto the ground. I can imagine all sorts of scenarios where mag-lev can go wrong with an unrestrained object.

Tidak Ada

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 17:32:2321.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com

Any idea about the power consumtion?

For some years I got the idea to build a digital clock working with relay’s.

Calculating the power consumption let me decide to stop the project.

A clock isn’t only a conversation piece It has to be a reliable time indicator for 24/7

eric

Tony Adams

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 17:47:5321.07.16
uz neonixie-l
5-600mA at 12V so around 6-7W allowing for PSU efficiency.

ZY

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 17:56:2621.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Earnshaw's theorem actually states that it's impossible to use static magnets to levitate no matter how you create the field without some supporting surface touching the levitating surface at some position (like a pole) which of course doesn't count as levitation. You have to use active stabilisation with electromagnets.

Jeff

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 18:20:3821.07.16
uz neonixie-l
I also would like to see an in-8-2 version and would be willing to pay a little more for them.

gregebert

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 18:29:5621.07.16
uz neonixie-l

For some years I got the idea to build a digital clock working with relay’s.

What about using bi-stable latching relays ? They should not require any power, except when switching.
Digikey sells small telecom relays for less than $4 (US).

I think it would be a really cool project; not just the design challenge but also the various clicking.

John Rehwinkel

nelasīta,
2016. gada 21. jūl. 22:14:2421.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
Earnshaw's theorem actually states that it's impossible to use static magnets to levitate no matter how you create the field without some supporting surface touching the levitating surface at some position (like a pole) which of course doesn't count as levitation. You have to use active stabilisation with electromagnets.

It can be done using paramagnetism, but the sweet spot is pretty small.

- John

A.J. Franzman

nelasīta,
2016. gada 22. jūl. 01:00:5522.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Correction, one can use diamagnetism (opposing ferromagnetism) to achieve stable, static magnetic levitation in a gravitational field. Paramagnetism is merely a weaker form of attraction, so it won't work. Diamagnetism is the opposite; diamagnetic materials weakly repel magnets rather than attract to them.

Nathan Diniz

nelasīta,
2016. gada 22. jūl. 23:10:5322.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Wait!!!! If there's a power outage, wouldn't that cause the magnets to stop working, and wouldn't it cause the thing holding fhe nixies together to come crashing down on whatever surface the base is on?

Nicholas Stock

nelasīta,
2016. gada 22. jūl. 23:19:2322.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
If you read the campaign there's a battery backup in place to make sure there's a 'soft' landing...

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 22, 2016, at 20:10, Nathan Diniz <vpmast...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wait!!!! If there's a power outage, wouldn't that cause the magnets to stop working, and wouldn't it cause the thing holding fhe nixies together to come crashing down on whatever surface the base is on?
>
> --

Dekatron42

nelasīta,
2016. gada 23. jūl. 05:00:5023.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Can anyone who has knowledge about magnets say what will happen to them over time, especially when they are near electromagnets transferring power, will they weaken and become unstable so the design will tilt or fall, and how long will it take to weaken the magnets?

/Martin

gregebert

nelasīta,
2016. gada 23. jūl. 18:10:4723.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Permanent magnets will degrade (for lack of a better word) over time, and factors such as an opposing magnetic field will accelerate this. More details on physics forums, but it seems intuitive that external factors can disrupt the alignment of atoms thereby reducing the magnetic field.

I recall my kindergarten teacher told me to store my giant magnet with a steel bar across the poles, so it wouldn't lose it's strength.

Instrument Resources of America

nelasīta,
2016. gada 23. jūl. 18:30:0823.07.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com

Physical shock will also do them in!!  Ira.

On 7/23/2016 3:10 PM, gregebert wrote:
Permanent magnets will degrade (for lack of a better word) over time, and factors such as an opposing magnetic field will accelerate this. More details on physics forums, but it seems intuitive that external factors can disrupt the alignment of atoms thereby reducing the magnetic field.

I recall my kindergarten teacher told me to store my giant magnet with a steel bar across the poles, so it wouldn't lose it's strength.

IRACOSALES.vcf

A.J. Franzman

nelasīta,
2016. gada 24. jūl. 00:31:5224.07.16
uz neonixie-l
Another degradation path I've seen too many times for NdFeB (Neodymium "super magnets") is that they corrode and turn to powder, especially the cheap ones from the Far East. The problem seems to be that the protective plating applied is too thin to do any good.

Dekatron42

nelasīta,
2016. gada 24. jūl. 07:30:1324.07.16
uz neonixie-l
This fact was very interesting!

I bought a few different Neodymium magnets from Ebay when I experimented with the RYG10 as I didn't have a proper magnet, cheap ones from the Far East and they all became less magnetic in just a short time (some months). The Ferrite magnets I bought are still ok.

I thought that I had treated them poorly and also that my electromagnetic coil that I used to try to get a proper magnetic field had demagnetized them. Now when I check even the ones I didn't use the coil with are a lot weaker, so it must be poor magnets. I remember that a few cube like Neodymium magnets that we bought for experiments at work were a lot more expensive than the Far East models, so mine are probably either fake Neodymium magnets or of a poor manufacture.

I later used a Alnico magnet from a broken Burroughs BD-301, which works very well, as their magnets are stated as having almost the same magnetic flux as the ones that should be used for the RYG10.

Do you know how long the process of turning them into dust takes?

/Martin

Nick

nelasīta,
2016. gada 8. aug. 11:29:1308.08.16
uz neonixie-l
Amazing what you can do with magnets!

Not cheap, though!

Nick

On Thursday, 21 July 2016 16:43:09 UTC+1, Pramanicin wrote:

Alic

nelasīta,
2016. gada 14. aug. 14:28:5614.08.16
uz neonixie-l
Campaign funded, congratulations!
The IN-8-2 versions are very successful.

Alic

nelasīta,
2016. gada 14. aug. 14:44:4814.08.16
uz neonixie-l
Yes, very impressive what you can do with magnets! There's also the float table :
http://rockpaperrobot.com
https://vimeo.com/51625557

Tidak Ada

nelasīta,
2016. gada 14. aug. 16:26:4614.08.16
uz neoni...@googlegroups.com
A nice place to store your harddiscs....

eric

Yes, very impressive what you can do with magnets! There's also the float table :
http://rockpaperrobot.com
https://vimeo.com/51625557

Atbildēt visiem
Atbildēt autoram