Recommended mix of components?

Tim Colson

Apr 22, 2016, 3:49:19 PM4/22/16
to Neo4j
A while ago, I ran SDN4-University just fine, then copied parts to a new Spring Boot app to learn more.
I could init the DB and persist objects without problems (incl. using Lombok for autogeneration).

I fired it up against Neo4j 3.0.0-RC1 and SDN4 still runs, but my code throws an exception trying to persist even a simple object.
I'm not sure where I should even look (Neo4j server, Spring Boot, Spring Data, OGM, JSON serialization), so I posted the issue in a Stack Overflow for help.

There is a lot of exciting work going on, lots of things in flux, so I'm what do you recommend for a working mix of components (and versions) ?
(I hope this is a better fit here for "discussion" than StackOverflow, right?)

I'm fairly sure I want to work with the Neo4j 3.0.0 RC server (my code isn't going into a production app, so RC is no issue).

Thanks!
-Tim
P.S. http://projects.spring.io/spring-data-neo4j/ -- example there shows the use of "START" which is deprecated, right?

Tim Colson

Apr 22, 2016, 7:07:13 PM4/22/16
to Neo4j
After a bit more research, seems the Spring Data Release Train "Hopper-SR1" is the way to get everything playing nicely together, including Spring Data Neo4j 4.1 + OGM + Commons, etc.

If only it were that easy. ;-)
Maven 3.3.3 complains about the "import" scope for the dependency from http://projects.spring.io/spring-data/, and then can't find many symbols from the various spring-data libraries.

    <dependency>
            <groupId>org.springframework.data</groupId>
            <artifactId>spring-data-releasetrain</artifactId>
            <version>Hopper-SR1</version>
            <type>pom</type>
            <scope>import</scope> <--- maven 3.3.3 complains that this scope does not exist
        </dependency>

Tim Colson

Apr 22, 2016, 9:19:15 PM4/22/16
to Neo4j
It really was that easy....
1) Switched from Spring Boot 1.3.3 to 1.4.0M2 and made sure project pom was inheriting correctly from parent
2) Replaced the spring-data-releasetrain dependency with the spring-boot-starter-data-neo4j
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-data-neo4j</artifactId>
</dependency>
Learned by RTFM that the release train can be forced via application.properties.

I am happily saving/loading objects from Neo4j via Spring boot 1.4 repository/service/controllers and now it's beer-thirty. ;-)

-Tim