Which Neo4j server to use for clustering

Amit Chandak

Feb 27, 2018, 6:25:06 PM2/27/18
to Neo4j
Hi,
       I am planning to use Neo4j cluster. Since we primarily use golang for development, plan to use the golang driver for connecting to the cluster. AFAIK, here are the possible combinations.

1. Use the neo4j plugin within Gremlin Server and use https://github.com/go-gremlin/gremlin driver. However, i am not sure if the neo4j plugin provide the same feature parity as native Neo4j server. Would it able to support cluster?

2. Use cypher driver with native Neo4j (on BOLT protocol). This would make it very specific to Neo4j. The reason i wanted to explore the gremlin language for the clients of the db is to make it db agnostic. In future, i can decide to put in any tinker pop enabled graphdb.

3. Use the gremlin plugin within Neo4j server. This is not a official plugin https://github.com/neo4j-contrib/gremlin-plugin. With this, i can still the go-gremlin driver.

I compared the performance of 1 and 2 option above for just adding vertices and the performance is very comparable.

Wanted to know how is neo4j generally deployed. As i mentioned i want to use gremlin (assuming its performance is similar to cypher), so basically between option 1 and 3. Option 1, i am not sure how clustering will work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Amit