Is the Muninn Page Cache related to the Muninn Flash Key-Value Store?

Telmo Henrique Valverde da Silva

Apr 15, 2016, 3:53:00 PM4/15/16
to Neo4j
A few weeks ago I asked on Stack Overflow about a doubt I had concerning the Neo4j page cache mechanism (which sadly went unanswered here), but today I have another question about the topic which hopefully is easier to answer.

The release notes for 2.2.0 (here) say the page cache mechanism was implemented based on the LRU-K algorithm, but the documentation itself doesn't mention said algorithm at all and from what I gather this implementation has some considerable distinctions from the original algorithm.

Considering the MuninnPageCache class which implements the PageCache interface on neo4j-io, is this implementation based on the Muninn Flash Key-Value Store (from this article here)? If so I don't get where LRU-K comes into play.

Thank you for your time.

Chris Vest

Apr 19, 2016, 7:34:36 AM4/19/16
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Our page cache has nothing to do with the Flash Key-Value Store. The name similarity is merely a coincidence.

The LRU behaviour is approximated using a CLOCK-like algorithm, but we don’t follow any particular published algorithm to the letter. It’s a mix of inspirations and implementation considerations.

We don’t mention the algorithm in the documentation because it is an implementation detail, and we still change and tune it from time to time.

--
Chris Vest
System Engineer, Neo Technology

Telmo Henrique Valverde da Silva

Apr 19, 2016, 8:42:25 PM4/19/16
to Neo4j
Thank you for answering both my questions. The answers have been of great help!