neo4j Ubuntu user management

ayuiop

Jul 12, 2016, 3:36:36 AM7/12/16
to Neo4j
I just installed neo4j debian package on my Ubuntu 16.04. However when I tried login to it:
su - neo4j
I tried "neo4j" as password but was denied. Is there any way or even necessary to only change the file descriptor limit for user neo4j?

Thanks!

Craig Taverner

Jul 12, 2016, 4:22:26 AM7/12/16
to ne...@googlegroups.com
The instructions in the manual show you how to change it for only the 'neo4j' user. See https://neo4j.com/docs/operations-manual/current/#linux-open-files

The key point is that the first column is the username.

Your command 'su - neo4j' probably did not work because the neo4j user has no login shell. That is usually a good thing, for security. You should rather change to root (sudo -s) to do admin work. If you really need to become neo4j user, then first 'sudo -s' to get root and then 'su - neo4j' to become neo4j.