Modeling challenge - multiple node labels?

Henry

Jun 6, 2016, 5:41:18 AM6/6/16
to Neo4j
Hello all!

First of all I want to thank everyone on the Neo4j team for all their hard work on such a promising and exciting new technology.

I'm working on a bit of a pet project at the moment; I'm hoping to take the data dumps from Discogs (a record collection site) and load it into Neo4j. My primary goal with this data is to expose the data between releases and artists (main artists as well as extra artists in terms of credits).

The challenge with the Discogs data is that there is no differentiation between "individual" artists and "group" artists (bands, etc). They are all contained within the artists collection. I'm more interested in exposing the relationships of individuals, using groups as ancillary metadata if applicable, and so therefore need to differentiate groups somehow in the graph. Fortunately, many of the artists that are in fact groups contain members that link back to individual artists.

Does anyone have any idea how he or she could model this data, since in effect I'll need to "break apart" one single field to two separate node types in the graph? I've attached a quick SVG I created in the arrow tool to help visualize. Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way?
graph_model

Michael Hunger

Jun 6, 2016, 8:47:51 AM6/6/16
to ne...@googlegroups.com, Christophe Willemsen
Just quickly.

You can either use labels like :Band, :Artist

And if you know that you have a band you can still create MEMBER_OF relationships between the individual and the bands.

There are some other projects in this area, like the musicbrainz -> neo4j  or lastfm import

Or startups like musimap or mediahound that manage the worlds music and media in Neo4j

Michael

Henry

Jun 6, 2016, 12:31:12 PM6/6/16
to Neo4j, chris...@graphaware.com
That makes sense. Thank you for your reply!