"Could not apply the transaction to the store after written to log" when doing merge(n:People {name: "Bob"})

Ray Chengr

Oct 20, 2016, 7:24:47 PM10/20/16
to Neo4j
We are using Neo4j community edition 3.0.3 for a few months. After re-installed Neo4j and applications to a new system, Neo4j was able to start. After inserted a few hundred thousand Nodes and Relationships, we found:

There are no files or directories created except schema/ under data/databases/graph.db

From the browser,

match(n) return count(n)
returns
431117

match ()-[r]->() return count(r)
returns 0

merge (n:People {name: "Bob"})
returns this following error:
org.neo4j.kernel.api.exceptions.TransactionFailureException: Could not apply the transaction to the store after written to log
But node count will increase by one after this failure. There are still no other files and directories except schema/ under data/databases/graph.db

create (n:People {name: "Bob"}) return n
doesn't return at all.

create (n:People {name: "Mary"})
returns

org.neo4j.kernel.api.exceptions.TransactionFailureException: Could not apply the transaction to the store after written to log

Any idea?

Thanks,
Ray

Michael Hunger

Oct 20, 2016, 8:25:42 PM10/20/16
to ne...@googlegroups.com
can you share your logfiles?

Ray Chengr

Oct 26, 2016, 10:41:42 PM10/26/16
to Neo4j
(Sorry about the delay in replying. Had been busy on other tasks of the project.)
This problem happened again today, i.e. there is only schema/ under data/databases/graph.db/ and no other files or directories.

There are no error on neo4j.log.

After I kill -9 <neo4j_pid>  (kill <neo4j_pid> didn't kill neo4j, nor did neo4j/bin/neo4j stop), neo4j was able to restarted normally (2nd time), i.e. there are files and directory index/. I restarted neo4j again (3rd time). While case1 (first time, failed case) and case 2 have some differences, but case 1 has exactly the same debug.log output as case 3.

Thanks,
Ray

Michael Hunger

Oct 27, 2016, 2:14:10 AM10/27/16
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Can you check debug.log ?

Your descriptions are a bit hard to follow, would you mind creating an issue for this on http://github.com/neo4j/neo4j/issues ? Thanks !!

Ray Chengr

Oct 27, 2016, 3:18:19 AM10/27/16
to Neo4j
I compared debug.log of three cases (2 successes, 1 failure) almost line by line. The debug log of the failure case is almost identical with that of one of the success case.

Another thing is the failures (one time today and one time a week ago) occurred when we install and restart Neo4j on new Linux box. And these two failures occurred on the same Linux box (we re-installed Linux). And Neo4j 3.0.3 worked fine after I did 'kill -9 <pid>' and restarted Neo4j.

Okay, I will create an issue as you directed. Thanks!
Regards,
Ray