tinkerpop 3 && java 8

Pieter Martin

Sep 19, 2013, 11:52:40 AM9/19/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

With tinkerpop3 being written in java 8 I was wondering what is neo4j
plans regarding java 8?

Thanks
Pieter

Peter Neubauer

Sep 19, 2013, 11:57:03 AM9/19/13
to Neo4j User
Pieter,
our plans are for Neo4j to be usable in production settings. That does not include Java8 for at least a year (Java8 is right now in developer preview state). We are seeing quite a lot of users already struggling with not having Java 6 compatibility.

However, forking, labbing, and tinkering is greatly appreciated. I think especially the support of Lambda is very exciting, feel free to dive in!

/peter

G:  neubauer.peter
S:  peter.neubauer
P:  +46 704 106975
L:   http://www.linkedin.com/in/neubauer
T:   @peterneubauer

The graphgist challenge - show me your graph - http://www.neo4j.org/learn/graphgist_challenge
Let's do Malmö Startup X-Change on Fridays   - http://doodle.com/gmfwhexiyy8ivv4w

Pieter

Jack Jones

May 16, 2015, 6:16:06 PM5/16/15
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Is there any update on this now that Java 8 has been out for over a year and there will be no more Java 7 public releases?

Michael Hunger

May 22, 2015, 6:54:52 AM5/22/15
to ne...@googlegroups.com, Darrick Wiebe
With Neo4j 2.2.2 we have official Java 8 support.

TP2 is up to our friends at xnLogic. (cc'ing Darrick).

TP3 is a more complex story with their move to Apache we have to sort the integration in a license compatible way. (Working on that though).

Michael

Darrick Wiebe

May 22, 2015, 10:35:55 AM5/22/15
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

XN Logic is taking over Tinkerpop 2, including offering enterprise support for Blueprints and Pipes and continuing that project's long term evolution, including Java 8 which we are already looking into and quite excited by. We're just now working out the details, but expect much more from those projects beginning soon and moving forward over the coming years.

Best,
Darrick

Darrick Wiebe
@darrickwiebe