does 'id' field get auto generated? 3.0.7

grimace

Dec 5, 2016, 11:26:06 AM12/5/16
to Neo4j
I'm using cypher to import from mongodb ( via csv ).  I'm wondering about the 'id' field.  Is it normally autogenerated.  If so, why dont my records have an 'id' property. Can/should 'id' be used for identification?

Michael Hunger

Dec 6, 2016, 7:57:55 AM12/6/16
to ne...@googlegroups.com
the id(node) is an internal id (like a row-id or mongo's internal document id). It is generated and also reused from deleted nodes.

If you don't share the id with an external system or users you can use it to identify a node e.g. within a transaction or within an import session.

If you share the id externally you have to deal with the potential reuse.

Usually for external identification people use business ids like email, SSN, ISBN etc.

Cheers, Michael