Allowing end users to make change to constraints?

Aika

Oct 1, 2017, 7:29:01 PM10/1/17
to Neo4j
I'm trying to figure out if allowing "power users" who are not database admins to change node constraints is a good idea.

Let's say I have a frontend web application that communicates with neo4j through nodejs app server.
This is a CRM-like web application that allows users to be able to create new entity "Customer" and then add relationship to existing "Office Location".
If Office Location does not exist, user may create it through the web form by filling out information such as "Address", "Coordinates", etc.

Now, I would like to add an feature that would let "power users" to be able to add new attributes to any entity type and set property existence constraints and unique property constraints through the web app's Admin page.
Once those are set, normal users will now see new input fields in the web form to be filled out.

I only have a little bit of experience in relational database, but my gut feeling tells me it is not generally a good practice to allow end users to be able to change database constraints.
Is it a bad practice? How are things usually done in these kind of situation? Or am I trying to achieve too much flexibility?

Michael Hunger

Oct 1, 2017, 7:44:36 PM10/1/17
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Depends on how you trust your power users,

if you don't have constraints and still want to enforce them you'd need to have an admin create them.

If you want people to query on these fields (only) then without indexes at least it won't be that fast for global queries.

How about a mix, the power users can "suggest" those (or actually you could infer them) but an admin has to approve them in batch?

Michael