Building Neo4j from GitHub source

bi...@bunkat.com

Sep 20, 2013, 5:10:27 PM9/20/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
What is the right way to go from the source that is available on GitHub to an actual working Neo4j server? There are fixes that went in yesterday that I would really like to test and they don't appear to be in the SNAPSHOT build that is available at http://www.neo4j.org/download.

Based on the readme provided and tips I've gotten from Wes in another thread, this is what I've tried so far:
  1. git clone https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j.git
  2. cd neo4j
  3. mvn clean install
Result: Build fails in HA tests
  1. git clone https://github.com/neo4j/neo4j.git
  2. cd neo4j/community
  3. mvn clean package
Result: Build is successful, bunch of jar files built in various directories
  1. Download neo4j 2.0.0 M5 build
  2. Copy cypher, graph-algo, graph-matching, jmx, kernel, lucene-index, shell, udc jar files into the 2.0.0-M5/lib folder using the M5 jar names
  3. Try to start server using ./neo4j start
Result: Server fails to start
  1. Copy server, server-static-web jar files into the 2.0.0-M5/system/lib folder using the M5 jar names
  2. Try to start server using ./neo4j start
Result: Server fails to start

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Wes Freeman

Sep 20, 2013, 5:36:42 PM9/20/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Do you get any errors in the logs that might indicate why it's failing to start? My strategy might work better with the snapshot release in case there's a gap somewhere else.

Wes

bi...@bunkat.com

Sep 20, 2013, 6:24:58 PM9/20/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Failed with:

SEVERE: The exception contained within MappableContainerException could not be mapped to a response, re-throwing to the HTTP container
org.neo4j.server.rest.repr.BadInputException: Unexpected character ('b' (code 98)): was expecting comma to separate OBJECT entries
 at [Source: java.io.StringReader@3fa43ae9; line: 1, column: 35]
at org.neo4j.server.rest.repr.formats.JsonFormat.readMap(JsonFormat.java:92)
at org.neo4j.server.rest.web.CypherService.cypher(CypherService.java:73)

When trying with the SNAPSHOT build as a starting point, it fails with:

SEVERE:
org.neo4j.server.ServerStartupException: Starting neo server failed, see nested exception.
at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:189)
at org.neo4j.server.Bootstrapper.start(Bootstrapper.java:86)
at org.neo4j.server.Bootstrapper.main(Bootstrapper.java:49)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: keep_logical_logs
at org.neo4j.server.database.CommunityDatabase.loadNeo4jProperties(CommunityDatabase.java:115)
at org.neo4j.server.database.CommunityDatabase.createDb(CommunityDatabase.java:55)
at org.neo4j.server.database.CommunityDatabase.start(CommunityDatabase.java:69)
at org.neo4j.server.AbstractNeoServer.start(AbstractNeoServer.java:136)

Wes Freeman

Sep 20, 2013, 6:38:25 PM9/20/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
#2 sounds easier to fix. Are you loading it with a config file? It seems to be missing the keep_logical_logs setting...

bi...@bunkat.com

Sep 20, 2013, 8:16:02 PM9/20/13
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Everything is default.  Looks like there is a keep_logical_logs setting in neo4j.properties.  I tried to comment it out but the server fails to start with the same error.

Peter Neubauer

Sep 21, 2013, 5:53:06 PM9/21/13
to Neo4j User

Try building packaging :

cd packaging/standalone
mvn clean install

The different versions should be in target /

/peter

(snt)-[frm]->(phn)

Lokesh Gidra

Jan 9, 2014, 10:47:57 AM1/9/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Can you please tell me where can the SNAPSHOT builds be found. On the download I can only see 2.0.0 or previous versions.

Thanks,
Lokesh