How to start read code with understanding architecture ?

tom.r...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2017, 7:48:58 PM10/18/17
to Neo4j

Hi,

I am poorly experienced java developer (only one year, however I am young person) and I am intrested in graph databases.
In particular, I think about how does it work under the hood ?
So my aim is to read some of code of Neo4j and trying to understand some piece of it (mainly I mean storage, transactions).

I can see many advantages: I like it, so have fun. Additionaly, I develop my whole programming skill - I believe that code of Neo4j is very well maintained.
I am aware of that I need a lot of time, don't worry,  I am patient.

Can you give me some clues ?
The cause that I started this thread is:
I am searching for any materials, link which can help me unserstand code, any blogs, books ?

Cheers,
Tom

Michael Hunger

Oct 19, 2017, 4:09:32 PM10/19/17
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Tom the  Graph Databases Book which you can get for free on graphdatabases.com has a longer chapter on that topic.

Otherwise the source is not too hard to understand if you spend some hours.

For cypher there was a good article here: https://neo4j.com/blog/introducing-new-cypher-query-optimizer/
An older talk by Andrés is here: https://vimeo.com/76806550
And Jim published a blog on native graph storage etc. https://neo4j.com/blog/evolution-neo4j-native-graph-database/