Must See TV

TQ

Dec 24, 2010, 10:34:52 AM12/24/10
to ne_wx

TQ

Dec 24, 2010, 11:01:41 AM12/24/10
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Here's the back story...cut and pasted from the Richmond Times Dispatch.

Read at your own risk.
Not responsible if you split your sides or bust a gut.
---
Richmond copes with snow; more could be coming
RT Dispatch 12/14

A surprising storm dropped up to 2 inches of snow on the Richmond area Monday, and two more storms could be on the way.

"We're under fire," said David Tolleris, a commercial weather forecaster in Chester.

Another storm could move in from the west on Thursday and bring rain or snow. It could drop 1 to 5 inches of snow on the Richmond area, Tolleris said.

Yet another storm could move up the East Coast on Sunday and Monday and drop several more inches, Tolleris said.

---
More snow appears to be on the way
RT Dispatch 12/15

Keep the snow shovel handy.

Winter storms could hit the region Thursday and this weekend, experts say. The weekend storm could drop several inches of snow — or next to nothing.

Dan Proch, a National Weather Service meteorologist, said the Thursday storm could drop an inch or two.

David Tolleris, a commercial weather forecaster in Chester, said, "In Richmond, it's looking like a 2- to 4-inch snow," with more to the west

Another storm could hit Saturday afternoon and much of Sunday. It could bring "more than a couple of inches" but probably not double digits, Proch said.

Tolleris said the storm could drop 3 to 12 inches on the region, with 6 to 12 being more likely.

TQ:  2" measured at RIC  Widespread 1-2" across the region.
---

Snow hits region again, Another storm possible this weekend
RT Dispatch 12/17

Roads could be hazardous this morning after the second winter storm of the week, which dropped about 1 to 2 inches of snow on the Richmond area.

More snow could come Saturday night and Sunday morning.

David Tolleris, a commercial forecaster in Chester, said the storm could drop 3 to 6 inches of snow and maybe more on the Richmond area.

---
White Christmas a possibility for Richmond
RT Dispatch 12/20

The Richmond area could get snow for Christmas.

At least six inches could fall Saturday afternoon and early Sunday, said David Tolleris, a commercial weather forecaster in Chester.

---
Richmond area could get white Christmas
RT Dispatch 12/21

We might get a white Christmas on Saturday — maybe even whiter than we want.

I'm confident Richmond is going to see at least 6 inches of snow," said David Tolleris, a commercial weather forecaster in Chester. "There could be significantly more than that."

---
Snow still possible this weekend
RT Dispatch 12/22

There's still a good chance of snow on Christmas.

How much is another question.

David Tolleris, a commercial forecaster in Chester, said the storm could bring 6 to 12 inches and possibly more — especially east of I-95 — plus stiff winds.

"It's looking really big," Tolleris said. "This ain't no joke."

---
'Significant storm' still a possibility for holiday weekend
RT Dispatch 12/23

A Christmas weekend storm could drop 4 to 6 inches of snow — and perhaps even a foot or more — on the Richmond area, experts say.

Commercial forecaster David Tolleris in Chester predicted a dangerous storm that could drop a foot of snow and possibly two.

"This is not a joke," Tolleris said.

---
Major snowfall may not reach Richmond, forecaster says
RT Dispatch 12/23

Richmond might not have much of a white Christmas weekend after all.

As for tamping down expectations for snow in Richmond, "I'm not willing to do that yet," said David Tolleris, a commercial weather forecaster in Chesterfield County.

He said that while some forecasting models are "swinging the storm around further and off the coast," it's still early in the cycle and the next 24 hours will be more definitive.

He noted that one forecasting model that came out at 6 a.m. today still projected 6 to 12 inches of snow in central Virginia, but a later model did not include significant accumulation. Tolleris said he waiting to see an additional forecasting model this afternoon to get a better idea of the storm's track.

"I'm taking more of a wait and see approach," he said.

---
Major snowfall unlikely in Richmond area
RT Dispatch 12/24

A private forecaster agreed, saying that computer models Thursday afternoon showed the approaching storm moving to the east.

"That pretty much kills the idea of a major snowstorm for central or eastern Virginia," said David Tolleris, a commercial forecaster in Chesterfield County.

Tolleris said he was wary of giving the "all clear" too soon. But even if the storm's track swings back to the west, it looks like Richmond won't get clobbered this Christmas.

---
Local TV stations calls out DT for his 'over-the-top' forecasts

TQ

Dec 24, 2010, 11:12:11 AM12/24/10
to ne...@googlegroups.com
12z GooFUS throws DT a life line.

TQ

Dec 24, 2010, 3:37:49 PM12/24/10
to ne...@googlegroups.com

Then again...maybe not... HPC Calls BS on 12z Model Runs

TQ

Dec 24, 2010, 11:11:07 PM12/24/10
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Then again...the 00z GooFuS makes DT look like a genius.
Too bad about all that recanting.

snowman

Dec 25, 2010, 9:54:22 PM12/25/10
to ne_wx
I read this around noon today,w hill enjoying a Bloody Mary, I had to
spend an hour cleaning sprayed BM from the wife's holly arrangement on
the coffee table. I guess it's nice to see that DT hasn't changed his
waffle house forecasting techniques.

Shillelagh

Dec 25, 2010, 10:53:01 PM12/25/10
to ne_wx
I still can't really figure out what he was predicting for this
weekend's storm. That'll probably be the case even after the storm
is over. Fortunately, or not, I'm too far west for this one. After
next weekend's projected blowtorch and meltdown, we'll probably reset
the entire season to bare turf and start over. Wouldn't surprise me
if we see virtually no snow the rest of the winter, even here. I
smell a big fat commie rat.

snowman

Dec 28, 2010, 4:30:14 PM12/28/10
to ne_wx
Larry Cosgrove is calling for the pattern to change yet again after
this weekends blowtorch.

The wind yesterday was just plain awful, I couldn't get warm all day.
I remained below freezing today, but without the terrible wind it was
almost nice out.

Shillelagh

Dec 30, 2010, 1:40:18 PM12/30/10
to ne_wx
Well The Cos is prob right as medium range modeling looks to put in
place a pos-tilt trough in the SW CONUS and eject a series
of...nothing for the foreseeable future. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

TQ

Dec 30, 2010, 10:14:01 PM12/30/10
to ne_wx
I think when LC made his call...NWP was indicating AO/NAO coming up
for air but since then...they/re both forecast to remain below zero
until mid-JAN.

What an odd winter.
Where/s the SE heat ridge?
Where/s the northern stream storm track?
It/s la Nina...yet whole lotta southern stream systems.

Shillelagh

Jan 5, 2011, 10:09:35 PM1/5/11
to ne_wx
Yeah that SW trough idea lasted not very long. Now its back to more
blocking and general mayhem. Temps have been running around normal
maybe slightly below since the brief torch ended, at least up here.
No significant cold and that's fine with me. LES has resurfaced
around these parts the past couple of days - though weekend system
looks to be too far offshore other than a persistently indicated
inverted trough over Central NY extending SE towards SNE. We'll see
how that plays out.