what's new in 2015?

Steve Park

Jan 6, 2015, 1:36:37 PM1/6/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year!

What's new (events, ideas, stuff) in 2015?

I'm looking forward to trying out Tour de Heifer in June and riding some odd Central Mass dirt.

Jake Kassen

Jan 6, 2015, 1:54:40 PM1/6/15
to ""

FWIW last September I rode my yearly overnight to Wilmington, CT from my house in Medford. Mostly paved but I tried
to take in as much dirt as possible along the way. This included:

- Pulaski State Park in RI on the boarder between CT/MA/RI. Lots of rolling fire roads and sand but I made it through.
Very fun. Even better: Not being shot by the hunters swarming the place. Google maps of fire road entries are not all
correct.

- Southern NE Trunkline trail starting in Douglas, MA and going into CT. I've ridden this a few times before. A bunch of
little bumps make it feel like a BMX course but it's ridable and fun. Might be soft sand depending on time of year.

- Airline trail in CT. I had known of the trail for a while but this was my first time riding it. Very long. Conditions are
everything between singletrack and wide, groomed crushed stone. I might try riding the whole thing in the summer.

- Yale Forest in Central CT. (Not sure the town.) Not too big but nice.

- The short Blackstone canal path: Worth it for hundreds of turtles seen resting on every log. Lots of families. I think it's
only a few miles long, if that.

Jake

Anton Tutter

Jan 6, 2015, 2:17:44 PM1/6/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
I've got the heifer tour on my calendar as well... looks great.  That and the usuals-- D2R2, KK, NER Fall classic, F2G2 (hoping there's a 2015 edition!), and at least two or three Catskills rides whenever I can make it out there. I'd like to try the Detour de CT this year too.

I may go out to western MA earlier in the summer and do some off-cue D2R2/F2G2 type variations.  I have to admit, riding the southern end of the Berkshires at F2G2 was pretty amazing. Worth exploring more around there.

Anton

Lenny Rosenfeld

Jan 6, 2015, 8:51:39 PM1/6/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
I've got Raid Lamoille http://raidlamoille.com on my calendar again for this year. Lots of climbing and dirt.

In the spring, I'll do some exploring in southern NH (Amherst/Peterborough/Weare).

Jeffrey Kane

Jan 6, 2015, 10:39:22 PM1/6/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the Detour de CT -- but you've got to get your legs on early for April in New England, that's for sure.

And I'd like to do the Raid Lamoille , too -- but it seems I only get to Stowe at this time of the year. It's one thing to ski for a week -- but a 700 mile RT drive for a day ride is maybe a bit too much of a stretch  ...

I need some Southern New England suggestions ...

Steve Park

Jan 7, 2015, 1:17:08 PM1/7/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Indeed.  we'll see how the winter goes, but DdCT could be a ton of fun.

Paul Lohnes

Jan 7, 2015, 1:36:55 PM1/7/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Personal Opinion on Detour. Certainly worth trying, but not the most interesting or challenging course. At least 40 miles on cinder rail bed was a bit tedious. No real climbing either. Challenge comes from trying to stay with Salem Mazzaway, he is a monster. Like I said, worth a try, but not my fav.