Bing maps distinguishes paved/unpaved roads

Anton Tutter

May 30, 2014, 11:23:50 AM5/30/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how new this is, but it's new to me-- Bing maps distinguishes between paved and unpaved roads by color-- paved roads have no fill color, unpaved have a light brown fill :-).

It's not 100% accurate.  I've been scanning the Catskills in Bing maps for routes I've done (look here to see example of color distinction: http://binged.it/1rp6icO), and there are some mistakes, but overall it's pretty darn good.

This can be a really valuable resource for mapping dirt routes!

Anton

ridingthecatskills.com

Anton Tutter

May 30, 2014, 11:26:23 AM5/30/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
I should add-- to see the distinction, you have to be all the way zoomed in.

Brian Postlewaite

May 30, 2014, 11:27:21 AM5/30/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
That is cool.
Sometimes Google Maps dashes unpaved, but usually that is more like a jeep track.
Often times I use satellite, but that's tough with a lot of cloud cover.
Sounds like another time suck arriving as I try to find more local dirt...
~Brian

Brian Postlewaite

May 30, 2014, 11:27:44 AM5/30/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
I noticed the zoom in req't.
That's annoying.

Anton Tutter

May 30, 2014, 11:29:01 AM5/30/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Correction, 2/3 zoomed in.

Anton Tutter

May 30, 2014, 11:30:29 AM5/30/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Major time suck.

Jake Bridge

May 30, 2014, 2:24:58 PM5/30/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Good to know! I often use Bing maps as a second opinion. I find it's more conservative in what it calls a road. Also, it's aerial view is pretty useful. But this is the best yet.

Rod Holland

Jul 25, 2014, 1:41:05 PM7/25/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
As of this morning, it looks like Google Maps is showing similar behavior. Haven't done a comprehensive regression test for all the roads it's surprised me with in the past...

rod

Rod Holland

Jul 25, 2014, 2:19:32 PM7/25/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
One caveat: how these roads are rendered appears to depend on the platform, at the moment. I'm seeing the distinction made in Google Maps running in the browser, but not on the corresponding app on my Android phone. Presumably, that will change...

rod

Paul Lohnes

Jul 25, 2014, 2:55:19 PM7/25/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
I am not even seeing in Browser (Firefox)??

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Rod Holland <rholla...@gmail.com> wrote:
One caveat: how these roads are rendered appears to depend on the platform, at the moment. I'm seeing the distinction made in Google Maps running in the browser, but not on the corresponding app on my Android phone. Presumably, that will change...

rod

Anton Tutter

Jul 25, 2014, 3:48:30 PM7/25/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
I just tried, and I don't see any distinction in Google maps in either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Anton

Rod Holland

Jul 25, 2014, 9:44:22 PM7/25/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
What I see in the Chrome browser, running on either Windows 7 or the Cbrome OS (Chromsbook) is that the Bicycling view now distinguishes between paved paths and dirt paths (e.g., in the Fells). Useful, as far as it goes, but it seems to stop short of full discrimination between paved roads and dirt roads. Bummer. Sorry for jumping to an excessively rosy conclusion. And on Android OS, none of this is happening. Perhaps this will evolve for the better. Will fiddle with it some more...

rod

Mike Beganyi

Jul 26, 2014, 9:10:58 PM7/26/14
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
If anyone wants county by county official VT maps with all road classifications from highway to class iV to 'legal trail' email me. I have a Dropbox setup with all the large PDFs from the state.

They are large files...

Phillip Stern

May 31, 2015, 9:54:43 AM5/31/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Mike - I don't know how to email you, but I would love access to the VT county maps. I am planning an overland beer safari (bicycle, not jeep) and am having a hard time finding the dirt roads and jeep tracks.

Ned Connell

May 31, 2015, 5:05:09 PM5/31/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Just checked Bing maps against many roads and many locations - Bing maps does NOT accurately represent paved and unpaved roads