ValleyCat MA: Hold that Date

Brian Postlewaite

Apr 3, 2017, 1:54:49 PM4/3/17
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Dear randonneurs, cyclotourists, bikepackers, etc.,

A few of us are planning to go for a ValleyCat-style bike camping trip on the June 10-11 weekend.

We will be setting passive controls in a range north to west of Boston, roughly Newburyport to Worcester.

This is a choose-your-own route ride. Gather as many controls as you can/want over the two days. It's more of a game than a ride.

Mileage could range from 50-150 miles per day. Controls will be announced Friday evening prior at a Somerville/Cambridge establishment.

This is an entirely unsupported ride. Plan to ride as a team and/or have someone outside the ride monitoring you.

Camping will be primitive. With any luck, great stories will be shared over the campfire.

Additional information posted later this month.

Please join us if you're free & interested.

From the unorganizers of the Dirigo & Dunes Dynamos.

PS The ride idea (and name) comes from the ValleyCat ride held in Wales for the past three years. Their website, http://www.valleycat.cc/, has some information on their ride and a sad story about founder's recent passing.

cemo...@sbcglobal.net

Apr 3, 2017, 2:56:32 PM4/3/17
to pos...@gmail.com, ne-un...@googlegroups.com
aka cyclogaine (rogaining by bike, popular in Australia)

Any early idea on mix of terrain?  Presume a fair bit pavement but will controls also be on gravel and/or singletrack access?

Very interested, will also share with some cycling orienteering friends...

Looking forward to more details...

PostBC

Apr 4, 2017, 11:41:57 AM4/4/17
to cm3...@yahoo.com, ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Cemorse,

I like the Cyclogaining idea. Indeed, it is just a variation on a theme.

Yes, we mostly have pavement this close to Boston. Yet we are trying to pick some controls so there are some with a dirt/gravel road providing one of the shortest connections.

Of course, since you choose your own route and order of controls, you can easily route yourself onto or away from unpaved stretches.

We are also trying to pick a few controls that are on unpaved roads/doubletrack. Our goal is a wide tire all-road bike can get to all the controls.

~Brian

Daniel Jackson

Apr 5, 2017, 9:16:13 AM4/5/17
to New England, Unpaved
Oh Yes. This is exciting - may very well tempt me down to the great South in June.

I have been working on one of these events as well for northern VT. Stay tuned, dirt roadies.

Best,
Danny J in Vermont's NEK

PostBC

Apr 5, 2017, 12:43:49 PM4/5/17
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Danny J,

A N VT course would be fantastic.

If this works, I'd like to branch out to spots further from Boston.

We're happy to share in lessons, ideas or thoughts that arise from running it in July.

I hope you can make it down.

~Brian