Fwd: Dunes Dynamo 2015 August 8

Brian Postlewaite

Jun 30, 2015, 12:48:59 PM6/30/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com

DUNES DYNAMO

A night ride from JP to P’Town.

We’ll meet at Cafe Bartlett Sqr. in Jamaica Plain, near the Green Street MBTA station, at 5pm Saturday August 8, 2015, and leave by 5:30. The 200k route will traverse rural and coastal roads, visiting Onset, Sandwich & Truro, ending in Provincetown. We plan to reach the Beach by 5:30am to greet the sunrise, take a swim, and have a lie on the beach. Afterwards we’ll continue to P’town to find breakfast and catch a ferry back to Boston.

This is a self-supported ride in the spirit of the Dunwich Dynamo. Riders are expected to follow all rules of the road, and light their own way. Bring your own food & repair equipment—shops are rarely open at midnight. There are unpaved segments, but a road bike should cope with these just fine.

The ride is FREE, no need to register. A final draft of the route will be posted here prior to the ride; cue sheets will be available at the beginning. For a ferry schedules, and to buy tickets, visit bostonharborcruises.com or provincetownfastferry.com.

This ride is not affiliated with New England Randonneurs, Inc; Randonneurs USA, or Audux Club Parisien. It’s an unsupported, semi-organized, ‘show up and ride’ event.

PS Brought to you by the same cast of characters that brought you the Dirigo Dynamo to Portland, ME in 2012 & 2014.
~Brian C. Postlewaite

Brian Postlewaite

Jul 23, 2015, 10:28:28 AM7/23/15
to guido...@gmail.com, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com, ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guy,

We finalized the route the other week. We will be posting the route using RWGPS. I'm not GPS savvy, but I believe that can be turned into a GPS track.

~Brian

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Guy Washburn <guido...@gmail.com> wrote:
Will there be a gps track for the ride as well?

Brian Postlewaite

Aug 1, 2015, 11:50:25 PM8/1/15
to Sarah B., New England Randonneurs, ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sarah,

Our groups have been a dozen or so, but we usually break up into groups of 3-4 like minded/paced riders.
Last year we had a group that I saw only twice the whole ride because they were so far ahead.
Others, like me, take a moderate pace, averaging just over 12mph (including stops, repairs, midnight snack, etc) so we make sunrise on time (10 hrs for ~120 miles).
Most everyone makes it for sunrise, but some just miss it.
After a rest on the beach, we all collect and find a place for breakfast (sometimes the faster ones leave for breakfast early - and some may try to catch an earlier ferry), but most of us take it easy Sunday morning.

I hope that gives you a sense of how fast folks go.

~Brian

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Sarah B. <sberg...@gmail.com> wrote:
How fast were people planning to go?

Daniel

Aug 2, 2015, 9:40:44 PM8/2/15
to New England, Unpaved, sberg...@gmail.com, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Brian,

Thanks for sharing this. I am suddenly on the fence, wondering if I can make 120 miles in 10 hours.  Has there been slower groups than your's in past years?  Also, what is the ferry time that you are settled on?

Thanks,
Daniel

Brian Postlewaite

Aug 3, 2015, 11:55:48 AM8/3/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dunes Dynamo Riders,

Here is the finalized route (I will double check turns and print out cue sheets).

The route goal is Coast Guard Beach in Truro, mile 126, to watch the sun rise is at 5:45am. My previous email was in error, we have 12hrs to do the route, which would be 10mph average, including all stops. Our midnight stop will be the British Beer Company in Sandwich. The kitchen should still be open for a midnight snack; I'm double checking on this.

Yes, there is often a slower group that doesn't quite make sunrise.

After sunrise we will continue the 7 miles into P'town for breakfast. A breakfast spot in P'town has not been decided. Looking for recommendations.

I think the 10:30 ferry would be best, but there is also an 11am ferry. The only earlier ferry is 6:30, which I think is unreasonable to make, but I'm sure some could.

~Brian

Guy Washburn

Aug 3, 2015, 5:45:24 PM8/3/15
to New England Randonneurs, ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a great route Brian! I'll be with you next time!

Guy

Brian Postlewaite

Aug 3, 2015, 6:00:19 PM8/3/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guy,

Please join us next year. Our even year Dynamos go to Portland, ME.

~Brian

Daniel Sheehan

Aug 4, 2015, 11:54:34 AM8/4/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the updated estimate, which is more doable for me. Now I'm
watching the weather. Will you go out in the rain?

Daniel
> Google Groups "New England, Unpaved" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ne-unpaved/GRByBvlCV6I/unsubscribe.

PostBC

Aug 4, 2015, 8:15:45 PM8/4/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Daniel & all,

Within reason, I plan to ride rain or moon-shine. If it is thunder stormy, then probably not, but it seems like just 30% chance, which is fine by me.

I haven't finished compiling bail-out options, but they have been used in the past. And if we run into wretched cycling weather, I'd bail mid ride.

The last Middleborough train to Boston is 9:22, but if bailing is required catching the train in Bridgewater is more reasonable.
And PB bus lines offer an early morning option from Sagamore, Barnstable & Hyanis.

PostBC

Aug 4, 2015, 8:16:30 PM8/4/15
to gvo...@gmail.com, New England Randonneurs, ne-un...@googlegroups.com
I won't be carrying a lock.

Looking forward to meeting you as well.

~Brian

On Aug 4, 2015, at 3:40 PM, G Voysey <gvo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

Would it be a good idea to bring a bike lock?  On one hand, it seems prudent to have for the stops at BBC and in ptown; on the other, u-locks are heavy.

I'm excited to meet you all on Saturday evening!

--graham

PostBC

Aug 7, 2015, 2:02:04 PM8/7/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com, ddsh...@gmail.com, ne-rand...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dynamo Riders,

Or anyone interested in the overnight ride, but not ready for 120+ miles.

Our friend Daniel Sheehan is interested in shortening the ride by taking the train to Middleborough and catching up with group somewhere between Onset and Sandwich. This reduces the ride by about 35-40 miles. Anyone interested in joining him? If so contact him directly, he's copied here.

~Brian

PostBC

Aug 8, 2015, 2:42:00 PM8/8/15
to Jake Kassen, ne-un...@googlegroups.com, ne-randonneurs@googlegroups.com Randonneurs, ddsh...@gmail.com
Jake,

Meet at 5, rolling out at 530

Daniel Sheehan was interested in this option. He's copied

You might be able to meet us enroute to Onset, or along the canal. But definitely at the British Beer company for midnight stack.

Text me where you are and eta latter so we are sure to connect

~Brian

On Aug 8, 2015, at 12:33 PM, Jake Kassen <li...@jkassen.org> wrote:

What time is the group actually starting?

Emily and I might take the Boston -> Middleborough train and start there; not sure as of yet.

Jake

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "New England Randonneurs" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ne-randonneurs.