Is this Summer? Or extended Mud Season?

Rod Holland

Jul 7, 2017, 3:44:43 PM7/7/17
to New England, Unpaved
During last year's drought, I was able to use a rule of thumb about off-road trail conditions: I didn't ride off-pavement if rain had fallen within the last 3 days. This year, that standard just hasn't seemed practical, and after sticking to the pavement (and getting bored by that), I started venturing onto unpaved surfaces if it hadn't rained TODAY. There was mud, of course, but most of it could be avoided, most of the places I ride. In general, I try to avoid making ruts (although I see plenty: it seems not everyone had that as a consideration when picking a line).

Anyhow, I'd be interested for other people's impressions of this season's trail conditions, and how people are coping.

rod