Massachusetts aqueduct trails: which ones are open, which ones are coming, and how to find out

Rod Holland

Jun 14, 2015, 8:46:59 PM6/14/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
A little brown line that lately appeared on Google Maps bicycling view marked "Weston Aqueduct" prompted me to take a pleasant ride to Wayland yesterday.

Trouble is, when I got to the place where it intersected Old Connecticut Path, the gate was padlocked and the right-of-way was obviously unmown: no path, let along an open path.

Aside from being an unremarkable example of "Google Maps, trust but verify" (and, yeah, OSM had this one right), this raises a question: since we're in a period when the MWRA and local communities are increasingly committed to opening up the aqueduct right-of-way for passive recreational use (including cycling), what are the best sources of information about this?

rod

Geoff

Jun 17, 2015, 7:20:04 AM6/17/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
Hey Rod,

I did some aquaducting not too long ago and i liked the adventure, but having to stop and go through the gates every 1/2 mile got to be a bit tedious.  Here's a map of what we did:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8564683

It required a bit of bushwacking around mile 3, as the aquaduct goes under a road there.  but we crossed over i-90, and found a little trail that is unmarked on the maps (but clearly signed) that runs right along i-90.  it's pretty rocky, but still a lot of fun.  that connected it over to the Norumbega Reservoir.  there were signs to not ride bikes, but it was too pretty not to.

it was a nice little adventure, but i'd rather ride elsewhere in the future.  I was surprised by how few people were there, given it's surrounded by homes!

cheers,
geoff

Steve Park

Jun 23, 2015, 5:56:08 PM6/23/15
to ne-un...@googlegroups.com
The Cochituate aqueduct and the Sudbury aqueduct can both be followed more or less all the way across Wellesley and, with a bit of effort, east into Needham and Newton.  There are many side trails to explore as well.
Following these aqueducts west of Wellesley is difficult.

See this map:
http://www.wellesleyma.gov/pages/wellesleyma_trails/gistrailmap.pdf