Re: Digest for nc-triangle-chowhounds@googlegroups.com - 8 Messages in 2 Topics

Michael Gage

Dec 19, 2013, 9:41:33 PM12/19/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I have not been following the thread of the dinner so I may be talking out of turn.  Where and what is GK?  or Banana Leaf?  I was at Captain Js when it just opened and Mexican-Chinese doesn't mix well.  That is not what I call international.  In addition the food was cold and out for a long time.  I would NOT recommend it.
Michael Gage

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM, <nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/nc-triangle-chowhounds/topics

    Cat Link <cat_...@yahoo.com> Dec 18 06:33PM -0800

    Terry mentioned this in the Banana Leaf discussion...

    I had a good response to the Super Wok Christmas dinner a few years ago! The place was packed so it worked out that a few people didn't come since a few unexpected folks did.

    I would like to do this. I really enjoy the discussion process of choosing the menu once we all are present - like the GK meals. It helps get everyone comfortable and chatting! Seems to end up between $18 - $22 including tip per person.

    I'd be happy to do this at GK, Super Wok or Captain J's. I haven't been to Super Wok in a while so I'm leaning that direction. But the last GK dinner they were really on top of their game so I would not be opposed to a revisit.

    So who is interested?! Preferences? Time?

    Cat
    Meatn3

    rory kirshner <rory...@yahoo.com> Dec 18 06:50PM -0800

    Cat; I'm up for this, shade of my childhood, though I don't have a car so that just makes GK possible for me (I live in Carrboro). In my case that would be 3 people

    On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:33 PM, Cat Link <cat_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

    Terry mentioned this in the Banana Leaf discussion...

    I had a good response to the Super Wok Christmas dinner a few years ago! The place was packed so it worked out that a few people didn't come since a few unexpected folks did.

    I would like to do this. I really enjoy the discussion process of choosing the menu once we all are present - like the GK meals. It helps get everyone comfortable and chatting! Seems to end up between $18 - $22 including tip per person.

    I'd be happy to do this at GK, Super Wok or Captain J's. I haven't been to Super Wok in a while so I'm leaning that direction. But the last GK dinner they were really on top of their game so I would not be opposed to a revisit.

    So who is interested?! Preferences? Time?

    Cat
    Meatn3

    Terry Grunwald <tgru...@mindspring.com> Dec 18 09:54PM -0500

    We’re in. Open as to time and place.

    Dave Salman <msca...@gmail.com> Dec 18 10:12PM -0500

    We (2) are in if it is a dinner gathering.

    Sent from my iPhone

    Terry Grunwald <tgru...@mindspring.com> Dec 19 05:51PM -0500

    So, Cat, David, and Rory are interested. Rory — only for GK. So how do the rest of you all feel about a jaunt to Carrboro? We can try to carpool. Any other takers?

    Kevin Yen <bansh...@gmail.com> Dec 18 05:29PM -0800

    Ok I'll be there for lunch tomorrow and will confirm with tony.

    Terry Grunwald <tgru...@mindspring.com> Dec 18 09:52PM -0500

    Kevin, Do we still need 1 or 2 people for our Banana Leaf group dinner. If all the CHders have had a shot, might we put the word out to friends?

    Kevin Yen <bansh...@gmail.com> Dec 18 10:17PM -0500

    Yeah right now we have 9. Couple more people would be nice.

    Kevin

    Sent from my iPhone

Dave Salman

Dec 19, 2013, 10:06:29 PM12/19/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
GK is Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro.

Banana Leaf is in Cary - Cantonese

I have not been to Captain J's but I understand their special (authentic) Chinese menu is very good and that's what the group ordered from for their meal there.

Sent from my iPhone

Cat Link

Dec 19, 2013, 10:24:54 PM12/19/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
GK is Gourmet Kingdom in Carrboro. We are leaning for it for 12/25 dinner. We have had numerous Chowhound dinners there and it never fails to please.

Banana Leaf is in Cary and Kevin has given some very good reports on it. That dinner is coming up soon. Kevin has arranged a delicious sounding meal with them!

Captain J has an authentic menu which is quite good - very different from the buffet! Kevin coordinated an excellent group dinner there in August iirc. Skip the buffet and go with the menu. They also have soup dumplings which are hard to find in this area.

Terry Grunwald

Dec 19, 2013, 11:57:47 PM12/19/13
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Cat and Dave are both on point. Good advice. Avoid the buffet, try the special menu at Captain Js.

 You and Guiliana are most welcome on Christmas Day and Kevin, might there be room for 2 at Banana Leaf this Sunday evening?  Let us know if either of those appeal.