I Hate the Site Re-Design & Reddit

Tom Viemont

Sep 22, 2015, 11:55:12 AM9/22/15
to NC Triangle Chowhounds
Hey There-

Ugh! I hate the site redesign on Chowhound and I know I'm not the only one. Are any of you posting about food other places? I find myself on Reddit more and more. Reddit is a site to comment about other things on the internet. There are subgroups called "subReddits" about food such as  general food, street food, and every other variant you can possibly imagine. There are also regional focused subReddits for Durham, NC, Chapel Hill, the Triangle and even Raleigh.

I'm posting under the name Ron_Sayson. If you all are going elsewhere, let me know where...

Best regards,

Tom Viemont
Tom from Raleigh

Meredith Norris Vuotto

Sep 22, 2015, 12:04:25 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com

I completely agree.  I don't understand ANY of the format or categorization of CH now and it is completely un-user-friendly.   I haven't searched on really anything lately and when I did attempt one post last week I got an email from the moderators telling me it had been moved.  So over this.

I haven't looked on Reddit but I will! Thanks for the info.   If I do I'm sure I'll use Tehama like on CH.

Miss chatting with everyone!
Meredith / Tehama

Nancy

Sep 22, 2015, 12:12:35 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I am *really* hoping that Chowhound rethinks the new design. I dislike the Reddit thread structure just as much ... maybe there's another alternative out there. It would be easy enough to start a local message board, but I'd miss the some of the nationally focused forums Chowhound has.

Nancy

Sep 22, 2015, 7:22:10 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Holy cow! just looked at the St. J website, and the prices are NYC
worthy. Not sure $75 will actually get her very far there. I'm
stunned that they can get away with that here. Must sleep on this ...

At 01:50 PM 9/22/2015, you wrote:
>The new format is frustrating.The plus is I've gained a lot of time
>since I spend less on CH!
>
>City-Data has a few people on the Raleigh-Durham board who have been
>posters on CH. It's good for local queries. I'm cat_link there.
>
>I haven't really found any other site that addresses the
>non-regional categories though.
>
>Cat
>meatn3

Kari Winter

Sep 22, 2015, 9:07:28 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Oops, sorry everyone, this was supposed to go to just one person.
Eeek - wine ....
kari/lulusmom
>send an email to nc-triangle-chowh...@googlegroups.com.

Burgeoningfoodie

Sep 22, 2015, 9:07:53 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Huh?

Burgeoningfoodie

Sep 22, 2015, 9:08:16 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Ok.

Meredith Norris Vuotto

Sep 22, 2015, 9:42:34 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com

Hahaha!  I so get that!

Cat Link

Sep 22, 2015, 11:58:01 PM9/22/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Interesting article about the fiasco here:

The article mentions a new site developed by a long time CH who is frustrated:

image

Hungry Onion
Where everyone can share their adventures in food.
Preview by Yahoo

Maybe he'll let us have a SE Board?!

Sep 23, 2015, 12:02:02 PM9/23/15
to NC Triangle Chowhounds, cat_...@yahoo.com
I also despise the new CH design. However, I've found that if you're willing to use a RSS news reader (I use Feedly) that it makes for easy usage and keeping up with the Southeast discussions. Just simply add the following link to your news reader. Boom.

Nancy

Sep 23, 2015, 12:15:07 PM9/23/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Excellent thought! I just copied the link you supplied into my newsreader (NewsBlur) and it cuts right to the chase. But of course!, I can't find anyplace on the site that gives you the RSS links  .... looks like if you just append 'xml' to the URL of whatever section you'd like to add to your feeds, that'll do. I just added the Food Media section that way, and it works.

N.

Sep 23, 2015, 12:46:58 PM9/23/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
I don't much care for the new design either, but
I'm not *as* put out by it as I thought I'd be,
or as many of you are. I went to "my locations"
and browsed locations to find SouthEast, and that
makes it very easy to get back to the usual
board. I think the whole tags thing is pretty
stupid, but I'm able to work around that. Some of
the other issues I have more of a problem with.

kari

At 12:02 PM 9/23/2015, you wrote:
>I also despise the new CH design. However, I've
>found that if you're willing to use a RSS news
>reader (I use Feedly) that it makes for easy
>usage and keeping up with the Southeast
>discussions. Just simply add the following link to your news reader. Boom.
>
>http://www.chowhound.com/tag/southeast.xml
>

>On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:50:29 PM UTC-4, meatn3 wrote:
>The new format is frustrating.The plus is I've
>gained a lot of time since I spend less on CH!
>
>City-Data has a few people on the Raleigh-Durham
>board who have been posters on CH. It's good for
>local queries. I'm cat_link there.
>
>I haven't really found any other site that
>addresses the non-regional categories though.
>
>Cat
>meatn3

Kari Winter

Sep 23, 2015, 4:44:30 PM9/23/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
Just realized I probably wasn't clear enough on
this ... once you're on SouthEast, hit the
"following" button. It will then always be on
your homepage on CH. You can easily click into it to see what is new.

Just gave hungry onion a look. Wish I had
something to ask to get the ball rolling. Wonder
if they'll allow chow-meet-up posts?
kari
>>as <https://www.reddit.com/r/Food>general

Nancy

Sep 23, 2015, 6:22:36 PM9/23/15
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com
That's actually another thing that I was not happy with concerning the Chowhound change - I'd already had the boards I visited most bookmarked in my account - and those went *poof*. So far I haven't bothered to do them over with the exception of the Southeast board.

Browsing once you are on the site is apparently something they don't want you to do.

And I'd bet Hungry Onion wouldn't mind meet-up posts - I'm on another general board that allows it with a disclaimer that they aren't responsible for anything that happens in relation to meet-ups.

N.
Some may say too lean
But the Greyhound understands
To lean is a verb.
~ Lee Minardi

Sep 28, 2015, 10:24:19 AM9/28/15
to NC Triangle Chowhounds
A bit late, but I agree, I find the new CH unusable and will have a go at some of these alternatives.