Fwd: Harvest 18 Restaurant is now open in SoDu!

Meredith L. Norris

Mar 31, 2014, 1:06:21 PM3/31/14
to nc-triangle...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jason Smith <jes...@18seaboard.com>
Date: Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Subject: Harvest 18 Restaurant is now open in SoDu!
To: meredit...@gmail.com

Harvest 18 Restaurant is now open in SoDu!

18 Restaurant Group’s Seasonal Southern Concept,

Harvest 18, is now open in Durham’s Southpoint Region

Dear Friends,

After a lot of hard work, we are pleased to announce that the newest member of 18 Restaurant Group is now open.  In keeping with our restaurant philosophy of supporting local farmers and purveyors, Harvest 18 will feature a chef-driven menu with over 80% of its food sourced from N.C. farmers and purveyors. The menu will reflect our dedication of staying true to our southern roots and our hospitable team is looking forward to welcoming you to our new location.

One of the things I’m most proud of with 18 Restaurant Group is that we have developed into a family and many of our team members have been with us through the openings of our other two restaurants, 18 Seaboard and Cantina 18.  Without all of their hard work and dedication, this newest addition to our restaurant group would not have been possible.  Lauren, my wife, was integral in not only keeping me sane but with all of the interior design decisions and creative marketing ideas. Even our six-year-old daughter, Sutton, had a hand in helping to create the kid’s menu!

Lauren and I would like to thank all of our guests, purveyors and co-workers for supporting us at this time, and we look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you soon.

Many thanks and cheers,

Jason Smith

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes from the Kitchen

Anson Mills is one of our treasured Carolina purveyors and you will find many of their products on our restaurant menus.  Through their hard work and culinary dedication they are keeping a southern tradition of heirloom grits, rice and legumes alive and a part of our southern repertoire.

Cornmeal Crusted Carolina Classics Catfish, herbed Anson Mills rice grit cake, grilled red onion, Sunburst Farms green tomato butter.

Rice Grit Cakes

The cooking style for the Rice Grits is similar in style to cooking Risotto. It takes a little bit more time but the end result is a creamy, polenta base that can be used in multiple dishes.  We serve the grit cake with our cornmeal crusted catfish, but the cake’s versatile and is also delicious for breakfast or paired with spring asparagus and roasted chicken.

4 tablespoons olive oil

2 onions, small dice

1 quart Anson Mills rice grits*

1 pint dry white wine

1 quart vegetable stock

½ cup cream

2 cups Ashe County sharp cheddar**

½ cup chopped fresh herbs - tarragon, mint and basil

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Unsalted butter, as needed

*Anson Mills products can be purchased online at www.ansonmills.com or at gourmet culinary stores.

**Ashe County Sharp Cheddar cheese can be purchased online at www.ashecountycheese.com.

  1. In a stock pot over medium low heat, add olive oil, onions and a pinch of salt.  Sweat onions (cook without adding any color) until translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
  2. In a separate smaller pot over low heat, add vegetable stock to keep warm.
  3. Add Anson Mills rice grits and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring to coat them in the olive oil.
  4. Deglaze the pot with white wine and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
  5. Slowly add the heated stock, just enough to cover the rice grits and cook until the stock is absorbed by the rice grits.  Be sure to continue to stir during this process to increase the creaminess of the grits. Once the stock is absorbed, ladle in additional stock to cover the grits and continue this cooking process until the grits are cooked and there is no more stock, about 30 minutes. This is the same cooking process as risotto.
  6. Add the cream and stir until absorbed into the rice grits and cooked down.  Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and herbs.  Salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Spread mixture at least one inch thick onto buttered sheet trays and allow to cool. Once congealed, cut into 2 inch triangles, creating the grit cake.
  8. When ready to serve, grill the grit cakes over a medium heat to reheat.  If there is no wood-fire grill available, reheat the grit cakes in a sauté pan.

Yield: approximately 48 grit cakes

  Don’t forget to make your Easter reservations for April 20th!

For reservations or for more information please visit:

This message was sent to meredit...@gmail.com from:

18 Restaurant Group | 8128 Renaissance Parkway Suite 114 | Durham, NC 27713

Unsubscribe