Average points off of live- vs dead-ball TOs

Mark Engleson

Mar 25, 2015, 12:49:47 PM3/25/15
to nba...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if it's possible to get figures for average points (for the whole NBA) for points off live vs dead-ball TOs?  I'm working on an idea for effective turnover percentage, which would weight live TOs relative to dead similarly to the formula for eFG.  It'll be next to impossible to manually go through game logs to get the data, the task would just be too big.

My hunch here is that an eTO% would have a tighter correlation with team performance than an unweighted value.

Thanks,
Mark

Galin Dragiev

Mar 25, 2015, 12:51:28 PM3/25/15
to Mark Engleson, nba...@googlegroups.com
I've seen those numbers used somewhere before, but I can't remember where. Might be worth checking Nylon Calculus, and I'll keep thinking in the meantime.

E Flame

Mar 25, 2015, 1:02:05 PM3/25/15
to Galin Dragiev, Mark Engleson, nba...@googlegroups.com
I think I've seen that before on http://nbasavant.com/index.php
I think but I'm not sure did you try nba.com/stats ?

Hope this helps.

Mark Engleson

Mar 25, 2015, 1:08:57 PM3/25/15
to nba...@googlegroups.com
I can get the points off of TO, but I can't find the differentiated numbers.

Evan Zamir

Mar 25, 2015, 1:14:56 PM3/25/15
to E Flame, Galin Dragiev, Mark Engleson, nba...@googlegroups.com
Wowy has eFG% off live and deadball turnovers by team. You can probably use that to make some approximations.

Seth Partnow

Mar 25, 2015, 1:21:05 PM3/25/15
to Evan Zamir, E Flame, Galin Dragiev, Mark Engleson, nba...@googlegroups.com
From earlier in the season, 1.25 PPP off live ball to, .98 off all dead balls

Mark Engleson

Mar 25, 2015, 2:39:59 PM3/25/15
to Seth Partnow, Evan Zamir, E Flame, Galin Dragiev, nba...@googlegroups.com
Okay, that's helpful and makes that really; 1.25/.98 = 1.27551.
So eTO% = %deadball-TOs + 1.27551*%liveball-TOs.
If I can get some figures totals of off/def live/dead TOs, I can run see if it correlates any more closely with wins than does base TO%.

Nolan Goeken

Mar 25, 2015, 3:25:51 PM3/25/15
to Mark Engleson, Seth Partnow, Evan Zamir, E Flame, Galin Dragiev, nba...@googlegroups.com
And if you can trace points off turnovers to individual turnovers, I'd suspect that a few of the "unluckiest" in terms of expected versus actual points off turnovers would be players notorious for sulking or complaining to officials.

Seth Partnow

Mar 25, 2015, 3:26:42 PM3/25/15
to Mark Engleson, Evan Zamir, E Flame, Galin Dragiev, nba...@googlegroups.com