Are PPAPI plugin's in CEF still supported?

Kris Cruickshank

Jun 12, 2017, 9:54:35 AM6/12/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hi,

I saw the post about PNaCl no longer being supported.

We have possibly odd / possibly not-odd architecture.
We have a native windows application that uses CEF to host our web application, we prefer CEF for a number of reasons, but one of the key ones is we can control and validate the version for clinical safety (we write medical visualization applications).

Our application do advanced visualization or medical data and run in our "server" and we use CEF for our client.
Our client app is quite thin: it displays some GUI, it presents frames produced by the server and sends input events to the server.

Our primary use case however is to run this application on a powerful workstation with a 4K screen.
In order to achieve this we had to develop a PPAPI plugin (not PNaCl or NaCl) the PPAPI plugin is very simple.
When the client and the server are on the same machine, instead of serializing the views with web tech, we render into a shared memory buffer and the PPAPI plugin can read from that shared mem buffer.
Because it is normal Win32 DLL with access to windows native APIs it allows us to be very efficient. It is a closed system so we don't have the same security risks that an open web browser has.

Architecturally this also allows us to develop a single web front end and meet our various deployment requirements. With the transports shifting from: Long poll -> web sockets -> shared memory.

Are these PPAPI plugins going to continue to be supported in CEF? Without it I am not sure how else we can get full 4K+ color images presented at 30+fps lossless without writing desktop applications.

I note that testing companies like Ranorex and SmartBear use PPAPI to enable their CEF testing:

It would be reassuring to know that this technology will continue to be supported.

Kind regards,

Kris

Miroslav Kravec

Jun 12, 2017, 10:50:10 AM6/12/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Look like a great and sophisticated project! Probably, Google demands an effort from community, and involvement of more people/companies into technology.

Dňa pondelok, 12. júna 2017 15:54:35 UTC+2 Kris Cruickshank napísal(-a):

brian...@strivr.com

Nov 14, 2017, 10:43:53 PM11/14/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hi Kris,

We have a very similar use case, and I've been looking for similar confirmation. Have you heard anything or found any other confirmation that this case will continue to work as CEF progresses? If not we'll need to start looking at alternative technology stacks, something we'd rather not do.

Brian Meek