handleMessage in --ppapi-in-process mode

Mateusz Różański

Feb 16, 2015, 12:25:30 PM2/16/15
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm writing a simple PNaCl app (im new in this stuff) and stuck in messaging system. I just want to send simple string message from javascript to NaCl client and debug this in visual studio.

Everything works perfect in PNaCl and NaCl modes, but in PPAPI mode it looks like messages just dont come to native client module.
I figured out, that changing flag from --ppapi-in-process to --ppapi-out-of-process solve this problem, but then i cant debug my app in visual studio.
So, my question is:

1. Am i right that messaging system (handleMessage function) is not working in single process? If yes - why is that? Will it be changed?
2. Is there a chance to run my app in ppapi mode (to debug) in single process with working messaging system or use visual stuio debugger with out-of-process flag?

Best regards
Mateusz

David Michael

Feb 18, 2015, 4:49:19 PM2/18/15
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Mateusz Różański <mat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing a simple PNaCl app (im new in this stuff) and stuck in messaging
> system. I just want to send simple string message from javascript to NaCl
> client and debug this in visual studio.
> (like in this tutorial:
> https://developer.chrome.com/native-client/devguide/devcycle/debugging ).
>
> Everything works perfect in PNaCl and NaCl modes, but in PPAPI mode it looks
> like messages just dont come to native client module.
> I figured out, that changing flag from --ppapi-in-process to
> --ppapi-out-of-process solve this problem, but then i cant debug my app in
> visual studio.
Do our instructions say to use --ppapi-in-process? If so, we should
fix that. I recommend strongly against using that flag.

> So, my question is:
>
> 1. Am i right that messaging system (handleMessage function) is not working
> in single process? If yes - why is that? Will it be changed?
That's right. We don't support in-process anymore except for two
internal Chrome uses (PDF and the guts of the NaCl integration) and
we'd like to phase those out. We're slowly removing support for
in-process APIs over time whenever it's convenient.

> 2. Is there a chance to run my app in ppapi mode (to debug) in single
> process with working messaging system or use visual stuio debugger with
> out-of-process flag?
Please use out-of-process mode (this should actually be the default).

Sorry for any inconvenience.