(P)NaCl deprecation notes

Yuri Sergiichuk

Jan 3, 2018, 10:11:53 AM1/3/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hello guys,

Are there any updates regarding the technology deprecation? I'm wondering how would the deprecation process apply Chrome users?

And what about the real EOL date? Does anyone know it?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

dwn

Apr 9, 2018, 5:50:31 AM4/9/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
[rant]
I don't know the status. Very disappointed to hear about this. Felt like throwing up every time I heard some idiot say PNaCl was just a return to the bad old days of insecurity and an ActiveX clone. It was so much more to those who had been waiting and waiting for the 'native code renaissance' MS kept promising and failing at delivering, with MS libs that couldn't even access 16-bit pixels and missing and incorrect docs, while Google was giving us everything we wanted in a lightweight frame. Anyway, looks like I'll have to port my base-level code for the umpteenth time to another framework. IMO Google should've supported a subset of PNaCl on the Android browser - it was silly that their own webapps couldn't run on their own mobiles. RIP PNaCl, you were awesome.
[/rant]

The Floating Brain

Apr 16, 2018, 12:42:51 AM4/16/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
Have to admit, webassembly is really cool and all, but I am going to be sad to see NaCl/PNaCl go.

Brian Gavin

May 3, 2018, 12:01:19 PM5/3/18
to Native-Client-Discuss
I would like to know this also.   When is (P)NaCl really being deprecated.   It has now passed the first quarter in 2018.   Unfortunately WebAssembly still does not support threading like PNaCl is google going to wait until this is ready?

Brian Gavin