pdf.js is so slow, using NACL transform pdf to Html5 would be great , is it possible ?

Wang Sheng

Apr 13, 2017, 9:34:38 AM4/13/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hi,  pdf.js convert pdf to html , that is really cool, but javascript is slow ,  I want to use NACL to transform pdf to html, is it possible ?
any suggestion is welcome . !!

Bill Budge

Apr 17, 2017, 3:42:15 PM4/17/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
In theory, you could port pdfium to NaCl, or at least parts of it. However, it doesn't appear that HTML rendering is supported by Pdfium, which renders to bitmaps. You might try asking about this on the pdfium forum:

Dominic Mazzoni

Apr 17, 2017, 3:59:29 PM4/17/17
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
Just checking, have you tried using pdf.js and found it to be too slow for your needs? The demo seems quite fast to me:

Keep in mind that NaCl is deprecated and won't be supported for much longer. I'd suggest either using pdf.js since it exists now and it works, or doing the conversion on the server.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM Wang Sheng <wan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,  pdf.js convert pdf to html , that is really cool, but javascript is slow ,  I want to use NACL to transform pdf to html, is it possible ?
any suggestion is welcome . !!

Salaba

Apr 26, 2017, 9:22:33 AM4/26/17
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM, 'Dominic Mazzoni' via Native-Client-Discuss <native-cli...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Just checking, have you tried using pdf.js and found it to be too slow for your needs? The demo seems quite fast to me:

Keep in mind that NaCl is deprecated and won't be supported for much longer. I'd suggest either using pdf.js since it exists now and it works, or doing the conversion on the server.

Was there an announcement about the deprecation of NaCl? What about PNaCl? I guess the same fate.

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM Wang Sheng <wan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,  pdf.js convert pdf to html , that is really cool, but javascript is slow ,  I want to use NACL to transform pdf to html, is it possible ?
any suggestion is welcome . !!

Bill Budge

Apr 27, 2017, 2:30:52 PM4/27/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
WebAssembly is a cross browser standard that is coming soon. You can try it in Chrome Canary, or Dev channel Chrome.

It would be an interesting project to port Pdfium to WebAssembly. The PDF code would be in the same process (Renderer) rather than a NaCl plugin process, so communication with the page would be much better.

However, this would be a lot of work.