[Visual Studio Addin] Can not find newlib GDB for PNaCl

Arthur Dou

Jan 16, 2017, 9:50:41 PM1/16/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
I'm new to both Native-Client development & this group, if there is any wrong sense I have or mistake I make,
please feel free to tell me, therefore I could improve myself.

Recently, I am trying to learn developing PNaCl programs through tutorial at Google NaCl Developer
and find that it says I could develop PNaCl with my handy Visual Studio toolchain with provided addin installed.

Following the instructions in the official site, I've successfully compiled the hello_world_gles example, and
tried to test the debugger:Press F5, popping connected chrome tab with PNaCl loaded, everything works fine yet.
However, when I click-back to visual studio to try to add some breakpoints, an error message dialog pop up said:
NaCl-GDB Start Failed.
due to the missing win_x86_newlib, after reading the release notes, I've figured out the reason, so my remained questions are:
  • How could I fix it out? (if possible) Should I do some configuration with Visual Studio or change some code & reinstall the addin?
  • If I can not fix it by myself, would it be fixed in up-coming update? (or some hotfix)
Thanks for to any of your replies,
Arthur

Sam Clegg

Jan 17, 2017, 1:47:24 PM1/17/17
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arthur,

I'm afraid the Visual Studio NaCl plugin in not longer
supported/maintained:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/native-client-discuss/Discontinuing/native-client-discuss/58BvgZJaML4/sSdhTZmbBQAJ

I imagine it will be easy enough to modify the plugin to referrer to a
different gdb location. I would first try to do with a simple search
of the text file in the plugin that you downloaded. If you need to
rebuild the plugin (unlikely) it should be possible using the links in
the above message.

cheers,
sam

Arthur Dou

Jan 18, 2017, 5:35:13 AM1/18/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hi Sam Clegg,

Thanks so much for your reply; Alas, Visual Studio(+Visual Source Safe) is a handy toolchain accompanying my hard times in development.
Thanks for your advice, I'll try to modify them & concern whether to shift to official-suggest toolchain.

cheers,
Arthur