Subzero Compilation Failure

dtip...@pdftron.com

Dec 22, 2016, 8:29:12 PM12/22/16
to Native-Client-Discuss
First of all thank you for adding the subzero compilation option. I am really impressed by how quickly the .pexe files can now be loaded. :)

I encountered the following error with subzero (using optlevel:0) when loading the .pexe zipped athttp://pdftron.s3.amazonaws.com/custom/ID-zJWLuhTffd3c/google/PDFWorkerFull.zip. Perhaps this has something to do with the size or complexity of the .pexe file? The error given is the following:

NativeClient: PnaclCoordinator: Compile stream end failed: reply not received from PNaCl translator (it probably crashed)

Other details:

1. Platform: Windows 10 64-bit
2. This file compiles perfectly fine with optlevel: 2.
3. My chrome version is 55.0.2883.87.

Is there a recommended place to file an official bug report or is this sufficient?

Thanks,

David

Jim Stichnoth

Dec 23, 2016, 12:08:55 AM12/23/16
to Native-Client-Discuss
Thanks!  It would be great if you could file a new bug report:
(If that doesn't work for you, I can do it.)

In any case, I found and fixed the bug that caused this crash.  There is an unusual-looking bitcode instruction, "mul i32 undef, 4", and during a multiply-by-power-of-two optimization, Subzero creates a movzx instruction with an immediate 0 as its operand, which is not an encodable addressing mode for movzx.  See https://codereview.chromium.org/2598153002/ .

It will take several days to push the fix, especially given the holidays.

dtip...@pdftron.com

Dec 23, 2016, 1:33:15 AM12/23/16
to Native-Client-Discuss
Thanks for looking into this! I posted a bug (hopefully what you were looking for) at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/nativeclient/issues/detail?id=4384.

> It will take several days to push the fix, especially given the holidays.

Sounds good to me. I am just happy that a fix is going to make its way into the pipeline.

Thanks again,

David
To post to this group, send email to native-cli...@googlegroups.com.

Jim Stichnoth

Jan 10, 2017, 9:05:55 AM1/10/17
to Native-Client-Discuss
OK, I have pushed a fix to "QA".  Would you mind testing your app before I push it live?

1. Make sure chrome is completely exited.
2. Restart chrome with an extra flag:
  chrome --component-updater=test-request
3. Visit chrome://components .  The pnacl version should be 0.57.44.2492 - if not, click the "Check for update" button to download immediately.
4. Test your PNaCl-enabled web site.

Thanks!

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/native-client-discuss.