PPAPI Pepper Native

kjpou1

May 30, 2016, 11:21:45 AM5/30/16
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hello all

New to PPAPI and was wondering what the best way to get started with the Pepper API.

Looking at the code samples from the chromium repo in the ppapi example -> /ppapi/examples

It looks like I need to compile chrome from source so that I can test these.  Is that the case or can I take the source itself and compile/link the examples without building chrome?  I have been searching but can not find anything specifying how that can be done.

I have read the documentation links about the architecture but still kind of lost just getting started with the API compiling and linking of the examples.

Thanks in advance for any advice and directions.

Ben Smith

May 31, 2016, 5:28:39 PM5/31/16
to Native-Client-Discuss
Hi,

You can build native Pepper plugins w/out building Chrome; we do this in the NaCl SDK. You'll just need to be able to build a native shared object for your platform.

It is mostly only useful for debugging -- so you can use the platform's native debugger, for example. You cannot easily distribute a native Pepper plugin, and the only way to load it is to pass commandline flags to Chrome. Also, the plugin will be OS- and architecture-specific.

Building a PNaCl plugin is nicer in this regard. You can build it once, and run it on Chrome for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chromebooks. It also can be distributed on the open web, and will load without any additional flags.

-Ben

kjpou1

Jun 1, 2016, 4:02:43 AM6/1/16
to Native-Client-Discuss
Ben

Thank you for the information.  I finally got that far as of yesterday and have a small plugin loading.